Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Is Jameela Jamil gay? 'She-Hulk' star seeks non-binary acting category at awards

2023-06-20 03:22
'This is a post about inclusion, not exclusion. It's about making more space. About adding seats to the table,' wrote Jameela Jamil
Is Jameela Jamil gay? 'She-Hulk' star seeks non-binary acting category at awards

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Jameela Jamil, who is in between a controversy over judging an LGBT-interest show, first came out as a queer. At present, the actress-model is calling for non-binary people to demand their separate category at awards shows. This comes after recently BRIT Awards announced a gender-neutral Artist of the Year award with female nominated stars. The pressure is also building on The Academy Awards to follow similar steps. Jamil went on to Instagram to express her frustration on Sunday, June 18, suggesting the move will stop Hollywood 'completely shutting out women'.

The 37-year-old model further said, “Would it not be better to give non-binary people their own category rather than open the door for Hollywood to completely shut out women given the known disproportionate amount of men vs women winning at awards shows? If we now have enough non-binary talent to restructure entire awards shows, which is GREAT, then we should add rather than run the accidental risk of erasing no?”

'More visibility, more categories, more winners'

The ‘Misery Index’ star further explained, “This is regarding the Oscars looking to get rid of gendered acting awards. As we see with the director award which is genderless, it's rare to even see a woman nominated never mind win.” “I want to open more doors and create more tables, not narrow the opportunities for everyone, including GNC people,” Jamil added.

The actress shared the reason why she wanted to share this idea, “More visibility, more categories, more winners to represent more people. I posted this on main because thousands of people in my DMs asked me to because they agree with this, but for some reason feel too afraid to say it publicly. That is ridiculous. This is a post about inclusion, not exclusion. It's about making more space. About adding seats to the table. We need to be able to ask and discuss these things with love, compassion, and honest logic.”

'This is absolutely not how I wanted to come out'

The British artist finally ended her statement by saying, “Ps. saying let's do away with awards shows entirely isn't an answer to this. Please just don't write if 'burn it all down' is your only response,” reports the Daily Mail.

Jamil opened up about her sexuality for the first time in 2020 and shared a post on social media, "This is absolutely not how I wanted to come out.” She decided to take a break from her Twitter account “because I don't want to read mean comments dismissing this".