Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'It’s just a bad matchup': Matt Brown claims Nate Diaz is ‘not a great wrestler’ to take Jake Paul down during ‘The Fighter vs The Writer’ podcast

2023-11-29 17:25
UFC veteran Matt Brown shared his insights on the upcoming MMA rematch between Jake Paul and Nate Diaz during an episode of ‘The Fighter and The Writer’
'It’s just a bad matchup': Matt Brown claims Nate Diaz is ‘not a great wrestler’ to take Jake Paul down during ‘The Fighter vs The Writer’ podcast

CLEVELAND, OHIO: UFC veteran Matt Brown shared his insights on the upcoming MMA rematch between Jake Paul and Nate Diaz during a recent episode of ‘The Fighter and The Writer’.

In the context of social media discussions surrounding Jake Paul and Nate Diaz's MMA bout, Brown expressed skepticism about Diaz's chances of winning.

Instead, he acknowledged that Paul had demonstrated superior boxing skills, but believed that the outcome would remain unchanged in an MMA setting despite Diaz's extensive experience in that environment

Matt Brown says he will 'pick Jake Paul to beat Nate Diaz'

In a recent podcast episode, Matt Brown expressed that Nate Diaz should consider accepting Jake Paul's offer for an MMA fight despite predicting an unfavorable outcome for Diaz.

Brown stated, "I'm going to pick Jake Paul to win, I'm going to pick him to beat Nate Diaz in MMA."

To provide context, during an appearance on the 2023 PFL Championship card, Paul reiterated his desire to face Diaz in an MMA bout, potentially transitioning from boxing by the end of 2024.

PFL founder Donn Davis escalated the stakes by offering Diaz a substantial $15 million purse to make the fight happen.

Brown shared a surprising prediction for the fight, noting that oddsmakers initially favored Diaz as a 12-to-1 favorite based on their previous 10-round decision in a boxing match in August.

Despite Diaz's extensive experience with 41 professional MMA fights, Brown believed there were several advantages favoring Paul in this match.

“We already know he can outbox him,” Brown remarked, adding, “When was the last time you saw Nate Diaz take someone down? But I don’t think he’ll be able to take him down, even if he tries to [take him down]. He’s way, way undersized."

Brown stated the advantages of Paul's physique, "Jake Paul is so much bigger than him. I don’t know what weight it will be at, probably 185 [pounds]. Nate’s not a great wrestler; it’s going to end up staying on the feet. What difference would it be [from their boxing match] if it stays on the feet?”

Discussing Diaz's fighting style, Brown labeled the bout as a bad matchup and predicted the outcome, stating, “First, Nate rarely throws elbows. Really doesn’t throw kicks a whole lot. He’s primarily an MMA boxer."

Brown added, "His MMA style is he pressures you, he outboxes you and pressures you until you take him down or grab hold of him, which, that’s what he wants. Now he can do his jiu-jitsu game. It’s just a bad matchup. I wouldn’t pick very many people to be able to do that, but I don’t think Nate will be able to take [Paul] down, and we already know what’s going to happen on the feet."

Brown also commented on Paul's preparations for the bout, saying, “Jake will train for kicks and elbows and knees and all that stuff, and they might have a little effect. But I don’t see Nate finishing him with a kick or even really chopping him down or elbowing him. It’s just not his style.”

What did Matt Brown say about Jake Paul’s boxing experience?

Further in the episode, Brown claimed that Paul's substantial experience in high-profile boxing matches is a valuable indicator of how he'll manage the pressure of facing someone like Diaz in the MMA cage.

This aspect of Paul's skill set surprised Brown, especially as he embarked on competing in significant matchups against former UFC fighters like Ben Askren and Tyron Woodley.

Brown claimed, “I do believe Jake Paul is very comfortable and used to being in front of people and isn’t necessarily nervous about losing.” He added, “I didn’t think he would handle boxing as well as he did, but he handled it very well.”

Brown added, “His demeanor, his mindset, he looked like a seasoned boxer straight away. I thought that would play a big role even when he fought Ben Askren. Granted, I thought Ben Askren would train and actually be able to do something as a boxer. I was like, ‘He’s a world-class athlete!’ Apparently, not so much. A world-class wrestler, not a world-class athlete. All love to Ben Askren."

Brown further added about Paul’s fighting style and said, “But we’ve seen in all of his fights, [Paul] doesn’t come in unprepared physically or mentally. He is a performer. He is good at getting in front of people and performing. I don’t think that’s going to play as big of a role.”

Although Brown favors Paul, it doesn't imply that he believes his fellow Ohio native would secure a flawless victory. Assessing the styles of the matchup, Brown anticipates that Paul will possess sufficient advantages over Diaz to emerge victorious.

Brown claimed, “[Jake Paul] just outboxes [him] by decision.”

He added, “I love Nate Diaz. I don’t want to seem like I’m putting him down. I don’t like saying it. I don’t enjoy that I feel that way. I hope Nate Diaz wins and I would cheer for him. I will 1,000 percent root for him."

Brown further stated, “I’d love to go train with him and coach him and be like, ‘Wrestle this whole f****** camp, take this motherf***** down. Do f****** Imanari rolls, whatever you’ve got to do, pull guard, get this motherf***** to the f****** ground, because you already know you can’t outbox him.’ Do I think Nate Diaz will do that? I do not.”

Brown concluded, “That is the whole thing right there. I don’t remember seeing a single fight where I’ve seen Nate Diaz shoot for a takedown. I do think it would be a fun fight. It will actually be interesting. It’s more interesting than a boxing match.”

Tags news