Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'I felt lost': Selena Gomez reveals her mental health fund was inspired 'from some of the darkest moments in my life'

2023-10-06 04:18
Selena Gomez also said that launching her mental health fund is 'probably the most important thing that I've ever done'
'I felt lost': Selena Gomez reveals her mental health fund was inspired 'from some of the darkest moments in my life'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Selena Gomez has used her past mental health battles to make something productive and useful.

The popular singer hosted her first annual Rare Impact Fund Benefit at Nya Studios in Hollywood on Wednesday, October 4, as she raised money for youth mental health organizations.

During a speech at the event, the 31-year-old spoke about how the benefit has been a lifelong dream that “stemmed from some of the darkest moments in my life.”

What did Selena Gomez say?

“I struggled with the world inside my head for a long time and I felt lost and I felt hopeless at times. And in 2020, I received my diagnosis of bipolar disorder. And to be honest, everything quickly changed,” Gomez said, according to People.

“I actually got the knowledge and the answers that I had been desperate for for so long. And understanding that obviously makes me become more aware of it and I'm less afraid than I used to be,” she added.

"With that knowledge, I could seek out the support I needed to be myself, to find my joy again,” she continued, adding “And tonight I'm very proud to say that I have and I've been working really hard every day and I'm so happy just to be alive and to be here with you guys today.”

Selena Gomez says the world 'must be a better one'

Gomez, while getting choked up, says she is optimistic for the future when she looks at her little sister Gracie, 10, and her generation, adding that their world “must be a better one, a kinder one, a clearer one, a more connected one with support and access” to mental health care.

The 'Ice-cream' singer added that launching her mental health fund is “probably the most important thing that I've ever done.”

Selena Gomez speaks about her past mental health struggles

“When I was younger, I thought I could save the world. It breaks my heart to hear a girl come up to me and say, ‘I was so close to taking my life, but when I watched your documentary, I couldn’t imagine doing that anymore,’” the star said in a recent interview with Fast Company.

“That’s the coolest gift, but yeah, look at me… It’s crazy to have that responsibility,” she added.

The documentary titled 'Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me' which premiered last year and provided her fans an insight look into both her triumphs and her setbacks when it came to mental health.

Besides her bipolar diagnosis, Gomez also suffers from lupus, and underwent a kidney transplant in 2017.

“I wanted there to be a conversation started. I wasn’t ashamed, and I wanted it to lead to something healing,” she told the outlet.

Gomez then added that she grew up being a “people pleaser,” and struggled when she was younger with the fact that young viewers looked to her as a role model.

“I didn’t know who I was. Having that responsibility would make me walk on eggshells a lot,” she said, adding “I thought maybe it would be damaging to tell people who I am. It started to become a threat that freaked me out. Well, if you’re not right, then you can’t work.”

Gomez found relief in her bipolar diagnosis over time and after a “really hard season” of life. She is now content to take breaks as needed in order to preserve her mental health.

“I’ve never promised anyone that I’ll never have a bad day again. I’ve always been honest with my fans. Even when I take breaks from social media, I’ll say I’m taking a break," she said.

Tags news