Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Kobe Bryant's mom-in-law demanded $96 an hour for being his children's nanny after his death

2023-05-09 20:20
Sofia Laine had sued Vanessa Bryant over unpaid wages and for the money Kobe promised after his death
Kobe Bryant's mom-in-law demanded $96 an hour for being his children's nanny after his death

LOS ANGELES, CALIFRONIA: Vanessa Bryant is still grieving the loss of her her husband and NBA star, Kobe, and her daughter, Gianna. During that time, it was reported that she and her mother were at loggerheads and the matter had reached court. Bryant's mother, Sofia Laine, had reportedly sued Bryant, claiming that Kobe agreed to pay her for the assistance she provided as the children's nanny before the NBA star's death.

Although Bryant attempted to make amends with her mother, things got out of hand and the situation became public. The court case was eventually resolved, but it doesn't seem like the relationship between Bryant and Laine will be mended. Laine had reportedly sued Bryant over unpaid wages and money Kobe promised her before he died.

RELATED NEWS

Vanessa Bryant shares heartwarming photo with Kobe Bryant on their 22nd wedding anniversary

'I miss you': Vanessa Bryant shares tribute to late daughter Gianna 'Gigi' Bryant on her 17th birthday

Why did Sofia Laine sue Vanessa Bryant?

The 48-page long lawsuit, according to the LA Times, read, "Unfortunately, Kobe Bryant's promise did not see the light of day as he is now deceased and Vanessa Bryant took each and every step she could to void and cancel all of Kobe's promises." Bryant reportedly said she tried to reconcile with her mother and tried to find her a place to live. However, her demands became excessive.

Bryant reportedly said, "Earlier this year, I was looking for a new home for her and, a week later, she went on television and gave an interview disparaging our family and making false accusations while living rent-free in a gated apartment complex in Newport Coast."

Bryant continued, "Even after that betrayal, I was willing to provide my mother with monthly support for the rest of her life, and that wasn't good enough. She, instead, contacted me through intermediaries — contrary to what she claims, my phone number hasn't changed — and demanded $5 million, a house and a Mercedes SUV," per TheThings.

'She's continuing to try and find ways to extort a financial windfall'

Speaking about her mother, Bryant reportedly said, "She's continuing to try and find ways to extort a financial windfall from our family. She was a grandmother who was supported by me and her son-in-law at my request. … She now wants to back-charge me $96 per hour for supposedly working 12 hours a day for 18 years for watching her grandchildren," as reported bt Hot97.

Stating her mother's accusations were false, Bryant reportedly said, "In reality, she only occasionally babysat my older girls when they were toddlers. As of 10 years ago, our kids were full-time students and athletes and I didn't have another child until 2016. Her claims are obviously false but I still tried, repeatedly, to work things out with my mother."

It was reported later that both parties had come to an agreement and had settled the matter in 2021. However, the verdict has not been made public.

Tags news