Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Choi Sung-bong dies at 33, two years after fabricating cancer diagnosis and asking donations from fans

2023-06-22 01:50
Choi Sung-bong had posted a suicide note on his YouTube channel the day before his death in which he reportedly apologized for his 'foolish mistakes'
Choi Sung-bong dies at 33, two years after fabricating cancer diagnosis and asking donations from fans

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA: South Korean pop star Choi Sung-bong, known for his enthralling performances who rose to fame on Korea's Got Talent, has been found dead at the age of 33 in an apparent suicide. The devastating news comes just two years after he was embroiled in a scandal that shattered his career and tarnished his reputation.

Citing a Korean publication, Daily Mail reported he was found by police at his home in the Yeoksam-dong district of Seoul at 9.41 am on Tuesday. Sung-bong had posted a suicide note on his YouTube channel the day before his death in which he reportedly apologized for his "foolish mistakes."

'This is awesome. Never say never'

His operatic rendition of Ennio Morricone's Nella Fantasia moved millions, garnering over 21 million views on YouTube. The rendition even caught the attention of international stars like Justin Bieber, BoA, and Jung-Hwa Umwho. Bieber himself praised the young talent, stating, "This is awesome. Never say never, and good luck to this kid. Great story." Choi's bright career took a tragic turn when he was exposed for faking a heartbreaking narrative about numerous types of cancers. He even went so far as to ask his loyal supporters for money to finance his treatment. His lie stunned and betrayed his admirers and the media swiftly labeled it a scandal that would forever damage his career. At the time he was dubbed as Korea's answer to Susan Boyle.

'I am sincerely sorry for my foolish mistakes'

Soon after his lie was nailed, the singer apologized and even promised fans of returning whatever donations he had received. "From 2011 to the present, I have been receiving attention and love from so many people. I sincerely thank you and express my gratitude," he reportedly wrote in the suicide note. Apologizing one last time, Choi further wrote, "I am sincerely sorry for my foolish mistakes and those who have suffered damage and I have repeatedly made mistakes." The 'As What I Say' singer further revealed that all those who had asked for being paid for their donations were returned their money, "For the past two years, we have returned all those who have asked for a return of donations," he said.

'I tried my best to enjoy a normal life'

Choi who released singles like Slowcoach in 2016, Tonight in 2021 and I PRAY in 2022, once revealed on Korea's Got Talent that he was left in an Orphanage at the age of three but escaped after getting beaten at the age of five after being asked by the host why his family section was blank. "I was left in the orphanage when I was three and when I was five I ran away after getting beaten by people there."

'I sold gums and energy drinks on the street'

Then how did you live on since then? he was asked to which he replied, "I sold gums and energy drinks on the street. I had that life for about ten years. Adding, "I slept on the stairs and public toilet." In a memoir released after getting shot to fame, he described his poor upbringing due to which he had to drop out of music school. "Looking back, since I was young, I tried my best to enjoy a normal life, like every day for 10 years, but in the end, I'm sorry," he added in the suicide note.

"I have no regrets about the journey of life that I have lived brilliantly. I have lived to the best of my ability and tried to have happiness every day. I am sincerely sorry to the many people who have been harmed because of me... I'm sorry to the many people who helped me," the note read further as per reports.