Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Mary Lou Retton's daughter reveals her recovery may take longer than expected as she had a 'pretty scary setback

2023-10-20 07:57
'She is still in ICU and we're just working through some things as far as her setback goes,' Mary Lou Retton's daughter Shayla said
Mary Lou Retton's daughter reveals her recovery may take longer than expected as she had a 'pretty scary setback

HOUSTON, TEXAS: Mary Lou Retton is on the road to recovery after being diagnosed with a rare form of pneumonia a few days ago.

Her fans were excited when her eldest daughter Shayla shared that the former Olympic gymnast is doing well, but another update came on Wednesday, October 18, over her social media.

Shayla shared her mother's recovery 'is not a smooth one'

The athlete posted the video with the caption “Update” on her Instagram account. Shayla shared that her mother is still in intensive care unit. “Basically, at the beginning of this week, we were going on the up and up,” Shayla Schrepfer said.

Just last weekend, Retton’s daughter Schrepfer and McKenna Keller, in a joint statement, shared the “uplifting” news that the olympian's “recovery [was] steadily unfolding.”

"We're thrilled to share some uplifting updates! Mom's progress is truly remarkable! Prayers have been felt and have been answered," Schrepfer and Keller wrote.

In Wednesday's clip, Shayla shared that the family is “excited” by the progress she’s making, but it hasn’t been a smooth process.

“Basically, at the beginning of this week, we were going on the up and up,” Schrepfer, 28, said.

Last weekend, Schrepfer and her sister McKenna Keller had shared — in a joint statement on Instagram — the “uplifting” news that Retton’s “recovery [was] steadily unfolding.”

“We were so excited, seeing so much progress and then yesterday we had a pretty scary setback. She is still in ICU and we're just working through some things as far as her setback goes. So I just wanted to give an update there,” she added.

Mary Lou Retton is 'exhausted' as she recovers from pneumonia

“She had a better day today, which is great,” the 28-year-old also shared that her mother is “really really exhausted.”

“I'm getting so many messages and emails and just, it's so great to see people love on her, so… that's it,” she concluded the video.

Mary Lou Retton was the first American to win an individual all-around gold medal at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.

"My amazing mom, Mary Lou, has a very rare form of pneumonia and is fighting for her life," Keller wrote in a message posted on the fundraising page.

"She is not able to breathe on her own. She’s been in the ICU for over a week now. Out of respect for her and her privacy, I will not disclose all details. However, I will disclose that she is not insured," she added.

Schrepfer earlier told People, “Our number one concern is the well-being of our mom. That being said, being by her side is our first priority.”

Tags news