Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Sometimes that was a little disappointing': Bonnie Wright laments lack of Harry Potter screen time

2023-08-31 17:19
Bonnie Wright is disappointed that her character Ginny Weasley did not get more screen time in the 'Harry Potter' film franchise.
'Sometimes that was a little disappointing': Bonnie Wright laments lack of Harry Potter screen time

Bonnie Wright was disappointed with her lack of screen time in the 'Harry Potter' franchise.

The 32-year-old actress featured in all eight of the wizardry films as Ginny Weasley but lamented her alter ego's lack of prominence in the movie adaptations of J.K. Rowling's novels.

Speaking on Michael Rosenbaum's 'Inside of You' podcast, Bonnie said: "I definitely feel there was anxiety toward performing and doing the best thing as my character built.

"Like, 'Oh gosh, will I do justice to this character that people love?' So that was always hard to do, especially when, inevitably, a lot of the scenes of every character were chopped down from the book to the film. So you didn't really have as much to show in the film.

"Sometimes that was a little disappointing, because there were parts of the character that just didn't get to come through because there weren't the scenes to do that.

"That made me feel a bit anxious or just frustrated, I guess."

Bonnie explained that she did not hold conversations with producers about Ginny's lack of involvement as she was concerned about the number of bosses reading through the scripts.

She recalled: "There were a million executives going through them all. I think what I maybe took, which I don't take so much to heart now, is I kind of felt that maybe anxiety was about, 'Oh, I'm going to be seen as badly portraying this character', rather than later realising that I wasn't really given the opportunity to do that. So it wasn't really my fault, exactly."

Bonnie is grateful that 'Harry Potter' fans also wished to see more of Ginny in the films.

She said: "When fans do share that disappointment... they do it in a way that is like, 'We know it wasn't you. We just wanted more of you.'

"And that's the same of every character. If only they could be five-hour-long movies."