Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Were Sinead O'Connor and Morrissey friends? Singer slams celebs who 'hadn't the guts to support her when she's alive'

2023-07-27 20:50
'Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O'Connor is dead?'
Were Sinead O'Connor and Morrissey friends? Singer slams celebs who 'hadn't the guts to support her when she's alive'

LONDON, ENGLAND: Following the tragic news of Irish music icon Sinead O'Connor's death at the age of 56, former The Smiths frontman Morrissey has scathingly criticized several celebrities and music business leaders who have continued to pay tribute to her. Morrissey, 64, wrote a post on his website criticizing the reaction to O’Connor's death and enquiring as to where was the support for her while she was still alive.

On July 26, O’Connor's family released a sorrowful statement in which they expressed their "devastation" at the loss of the legendary singer. They wrote, "It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinead. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time." Since the news of the 'Nothing Compares 2 U' singer's unexpected death broke - which occurred just 18 months after her son Shane, 17, committed suicide - tributes have poured in from all over the world for the unrivaled talent and brave soul that O’Connor was.

Stars including Sharon Horgan, Piers Morgan, Russell Crowe, and Niall Horan have all raced to social media to pay respect to the woman who helped make Ireland famous during one of its darkest periods. Actress Toni Colette, comedian Dara O'Briain, and mixed martial artist Conor McGregor all paid tribute to the singer on social media.

Were Sinead O'Connor and Morrisey friends?

There's no such incident available that proves that O'Connor and Morrisey shared a close friendship, however, 'The Smiths' frontman has criticized the outpouring of affection for the Irish singer while celebrities continue to pay tribute to O’Connor, as per Daily Mail. The musician shared a post titled 'You Know I Couldn't Last,' writing, "She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong."

"She had proud vulnerability and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don't 'fit in' (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can't answer back. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn't the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you."

The enraged musician persisted, drawing parallels between O'Connor's tragic death and those of other tragic female celebrities like Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, and Judy Garland. "Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O'Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead's life?"

"No, it wasn't. She was a challenge, and she couldn't be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own," Morrissey continued. Sinead had experienced mental health issues ever since her 17-year-old son Shane committed suicide in January 2022.

"As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid ‘icon’ and ‘legend’ when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit," Morrisey concluded, "All of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop."

'World has lost an artist with the voice of an Angel'

Several celebrities took to social media to pay tribute to Irish pop icon O'Connor. MMA star Conor McGregor wrote on Twitter, "The world has lost an artist with the voice of an Angel. Ireland has lost an iconic voice and one of our absolute finest, by a long shot. And I have lost a friend. Sinead’s music will live on and continue to inspire! Rest In Peace, Sinead you are home with your son I am sure." Irish actress Sharon Horgan wrote on Instagram, "Oh this is terrible news. The worst. That voice. That insanely beautiful voice that could carry all the emotions in one line. Her bravery. Sinead was so loved by so many of us but she was also not treated well at all. I remember wanting her to do a song for a show I was making and being told she wasn’t right for their brand or whatever the fuck. I’m just feeling so angry about how she was treated. But over all just heart breakingly sad for her and her family."

Canadian singer Bryan Adams wrote on Twitter, "RIP Sinéad O'Connor, I loved working with you making photos, doing gigs in Ireland together and chats, all my love to your family." Meanwhile, comedian Dara O'Briain wrote on Twitter followers: "Ah sh**e, Sinead O’Connor has died. That’s just very sad news. Poor thing. I hope she realized how much love there was for her."

Tags news