Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Patti LaBelle opens up about lyric flub during Tina Turner tribute at BET: 'I love her and I did my best'

2023-06-27 06:21
'It meant no matter what voice I'm in -- I'm hoarse, I have a cold -- but whatever, I had to, I was giving it up for Tina Turner,' Patti LaBelle said
Patti LaBelle opens up about lyric flub during Tina Turner tribute at BET: 'I love her and I did my best'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Patti LaBelle mixed up the lyrics during her tribute performance to the Queen of Rock 'n' Roll Tina Turner on Sunday. The legendary singer performed Turner’s 1989 hit 'The Best' at BET Awards but appeared to struggle with some of the lyrics.

LaBelle won mixed praise from the fans for acting like a pro when she was onstage and couldn't read some of the lyrics from the teleprompter as fans blocked her view. Despite struggling with the lyrics LeBelle gave the performance her hundred percent.

'I was giving it up for Tina Turner'

"I can't see the words and I don't know. I'm tryin', y'all!" she told the crowd appearing to be confident, The audience in the theater clapped and joined LaBelle and her background singers for the chorus to sing, “You’re simply the best!” Even so, the audience sang and danced along with LaBelle as the tribute came to a finish with a standing ovation as she battled through her missteps and got back in time with her support singers. She yelled on stage "God bless you, Tina Turner."

"It meant no matter what voice I'm in -- I'm hoarse, I have a cold -- but whatever, I had to, I was giving it up for Tina Turner, 'cause she's simply the best," LaBelle told ET. "So you heard a little tweak every now and then out there, but I love her, and I did my best."

'The teleprompter was obstructed, obscuring LaBelle’s view of the lyrics'

Earlier her spokesperson confirmed to the media outlets stating, “It was an extraordinary privilege to celebrate the life and legacy of Ms Tina Turner at “BET Awards” 2023," The statement added, “Having the incomparable Patti LaBelle on our stage honoring one of her contemporaries was an equal privilege. Due to the crowd’s enthusiasm, the teleprompter was obstructed, obscuring LaBelle’s view of the lyrics. Nonetheless, we couldn’t be more grateful to LaBelle for lending her incredible talent to this moment.”

'I feel terrible for Patti and someone owes her an apology'

Holly Robinson Peete, an actress, and producer shared a video of an audience member complaining that her row was obscuring the teleprompter, making it impossible for LaBelle to see the words. “This Patti slander is wrong.”Robinson Peete tweeted." She added, "This lady below made it clear that she was in the section blocking the teleprompter the producers should have made sure that area was cleared as soon as the performance started or put one at the front of the stage for her!! BTW Lots of artists use prompters even for their own lyrics …I feel terrible for Patti and someone owes her an apology. And y’all leave that legend alone. She’s about to be 80 and she is still doing the thing."