Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is Ivy Snitzer? Gwyneth Paltrow's 'Shallow Hal' body double nearly 'starved to death' after film due to eating disorder

2023-08-18 16:52
'I hated my body.. I had eating disorders that I was very proud of,' said Snitzer
Who is Ivy Snitzer? Gwyneth Paltrow's 'Shallow Hal' body double nearly 'starved to death' after film due to eating disorder

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Ivy Snitzer, known for her role as Gwyneth Paltrow's body double in the 2001 film 'Shallow Hal,' candidly shared her perspective on the movie's impact and her own journey, revealing the complexities that emerged over the years.

Initially, Snitzer didn't find fault with the film's premise, which she recognized as progressive for its time. She commented, "At that point, if you saw someone obese in a movie, they were a villain." In contrast, the character Rosemary, whom Snitzer doubled for, was portrayed as "cool, she was popular, she had friends."

Who is Ivy Snitzer?

Snitzer is the owner of an insurance agency based in Philadelphia. Although at the age of 20, Snitzer was an enthusiastic aspiring actor and comedian, harboring dreams of embracing the roles of an actor and a comedian.

In an insightful conversation with Amelia Tait, Snitzer delved into her experience during the film and revealed, "Mostly, I just wanted to be funny." She recalled, "It was so exciting. It was just fun to be part of a movie – there's so few people who actually get to do that in the world." She highlighted the camaraderie on set, emphasizing how she was treated with utmost importance, an experience that made her feel valued and "really comfortable" during filming.

Yet, the aftermath of the film's release brought unforeseen challenges. The realization that the movie would reach millions of viewers hadn't crossed her mind. Snitzer found herself receiving diet pills in the mail and enduring criticism for expressing that "it is not the worst thing in the world to be fat."

Even the positive attention she received, like a dedicated symphony composed in her honor, left her feeling somewhat unsatisfied. She recounted, "I got really scared and I just got really small." She questioned her path in the entertainment industry, pondering alternatives to acting.

This uncertainty led her to undergo lap-band surgery, a decision that had severe repercussions. The surgery resulted in complications, causing physical distress and a drastic change in her appearance. "I was so thin you could see my teeth through my face and my skin was all grey," Snitzer recollected, describing she was "technically starving to death.

While she initially believed the surgery was a remedy to address her weight-related concerns, Snitzer admitted to grappling with societal perceptions of body image. "If you're fat, you're supposed to try to not be. I hated my body.. I had eating disorders that I was very proud of. It didn't occur to me that I was supposed to be ashamed of those behaviors, like a lot of people are," recalled Snitzer. "For me, I was supposed to be proud of them."

Is it Gwyneth Paltrow in 'Shallow Hal'?

'Shallow Hal' is a 2001 American romantic comedy film starring Paltrow and Jack Black about a shallow man who falls in love with a 300-pound woman after being hypnotized into only seeing a person's inner beauty.

In the movie, Paltrow donned a fat suit for the entirety of the film to portray Rosemary Shanahan, Hal's 300-pound romantic interest, while Snitzer stood in as her body double. The heavily criticized rom-com about Hal Larson (Jack Black), surrounds a superficial man who is hypnotized to only see people's inner beauty.

How old was Gwyneth Paltrow in the movie 'Shallow Hal'?

Paltrow took on the role of 'Rosemary Shanahan' in 'Shallow Hal' at the age of 28, more than two decades ago in 2001. Fast forward to the present, she has reached the age of 50 and boasts a filmography of 68 movies in total, with 41 of those films coming to fruition following the release of 'Shallow Hal'.

Who was part of 'Shallow Hal' cast?

Under the directorial helm of the Farrelly brothers, the movie's ensemble cast includes prominent names like Jack Black, Jason Alexander, Joe Viterelli, Anthony Robbins and Susan Ward.

Unveiled in cinemas on November 9, 2001, courtesy of 20th Century Fox, 'Shallow Hal' made an impressive mark at the box office. Its earnings soared to $141 million, outpacing its $40 million budget.

If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder, get help. Contact the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) at 1-800-931-2237 or go to NationalEatingDisorders.org.

Tags news epcelebs