Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Grey's Anatomy' stars Katherine Heigl and Ellen Pompeo reveal ABC exec almost canceled show before pilot aired

2023-06-07 18:59
'Grey's Anatomy', created by Shonda Rhimes, brought about a revolution in television, showcasing women and actors of color in leading roles
'Grey's Anatomy' stars Katherine Heigl and Ellen Pompeo reveal ABC exec almost canceled show before pilot aired

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: 'Grey's Anatomy' made its debut in 2005, despite ABC executives' initial doubts about airing it. It was scheduled to follow the slot after 'Desperate Housewives'. Remarkably, the cast of the medical drama not only exceeded expectations but also revolutionized popular culture, going beyond the boundaries set by the ladies of Wisteria Lane.

During a recent reunion with Variety, actors Ellen Pompeo and Katherine Heigl delved into the early days of the longest-running primetime series on television. As 'Grey's Anatomy' skyrocketed to instant fame, the show created by Shonda Rhimes brought about a revolution in television, showcasing women and actors of color in leading roles.

'He almost didn’t air that pilot!'

During a conversation with Heigl, Pompeo revealed that the show was almost canceled before its 2005 premiere. Pompeo hinted that the then-president of ABC Entertainment, Stephen McPherson, had doubts about Shonda Rhimes' talent, leading to questions about the show's success. However, the show defied the odds and has become a long-running and successful series, with its 20th season now confirmed.

"We’ll be very nice and not name the executive who almost took a nap on Shonda Rhimes. I’m not saying it, but he almost slept on Shonda Rhimes — almost didn’t air that pilot! You can do your research and find out who it was. Imagine being that guy," said Pompeo.

Who is Stephen McPherson?

Stephen A McPherson is a prominent figure in the television industry, known for his role as the President of ABC Entertainment from 2004 to 2010. Under his leadership, ABC experienced a significant turnaround, producing hit shows like 'Lost', 'Desperate Housewives', and 'Grey's Anatomy'. McPherson's successful career includes positions at Witt/Thomas/Harris Productions, Fox Broadcasting, and NBC. He currently operates his private equity venture firm, McPherson Global Ventures.

Ellen Pompeo reveals her frustrations with the show

Having played Meredith Grey since the show's first season, Pompeo has been the central figure of the series. However, Pompeo transitioned away from being a regular cast member, resulting in limited appearances throughout the 19th season. Her most recent appearance as Meredith was in the series finale of the 19th season. She revealed that one aspect that frustrated her about her character was her lack of relationship skills despite being involved with multiple love interests throughout the show.

"I’ve been on the show so long, I’m happy to let that go. We’re past that point. I think it’s OK for Meredith to stop making bad decisions. One of my frustrations is the Nick and Meredith of it all. Scott Speedman plays Meredith’s love interest, Nick Marsh, and I love Speedman. Somehow, Meredith can’t figure out how to make a relationship work, still, after all this time. I felt so happy to be able to step away, and I felt like I accomplished something incredible. Everywhere, as I’m sure everywhere you go, people just run up to me and say, 'I love you!' It’s weird and strange, but it’s just love coming at me," she said.