Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

The evolution of Travis Kelce: How a failed drug test and 'train-wreck character' almost derailed Mr Taylor Swift

2023-11-15 01:52
Before he became a star for the Kansas City Chiefs, Travis Kelce had to overcome serious challenges that almost derailed his football dreams
The evolution of Travis Kelce: How a failed drug test and 'train-wreck character' almost derailed Mr Taylor Swift

KANSAS, MISSOURI: Travis Kelce is considered one of the greatest tight ends in NFL history with seven consecutive 1,000-yard seasons and seven All-Pro selections with two Super Bowl wins.

He is also known for his charismatic personality and his love for pop star Taylor Swift who are rumored to be in a romantic relationship.

But, before he became a star for the Kansas City Chiefs, Kelce had to overcome some serious challenges in his college career that almost derailed his football dreams.

How a marijuana suspension changed Travis Kelce's career path

Travis Kelce’s journey from a two-star recruit out of high school to a star tight end in the NFL hasn't been a cakewalk.

He joined Cincinnati playing as a tight end and a wildcat quarterback as a freshman, but he barely played.

He missed his sophomore year because of a failing marijuana drug test due to excessive partying before he could play the 2010 Allstate Sugar Bowl.

He came back as a tight end and a wildcat quarterback, but he soon focused on the tight end position.

He said in a 'Bussin' with the Wild Boys' podcast, "I got kicked out of college because of it. I partied a little too much down there, got hit with a drug test, and from that point on, I realized I gotta tighten the f*****d up."

“What it did was it really kicked me into the tight end room,” Kelce further said, adding “I was still playing QB then."

"It was like, ‘Alright, you can come walk on the team, but we don’t need a quarterback. You can just be an athlete on scout team for a year, we’ll figure it out,’” he added.

Kelce returned and developed into a pro prospect at tight end, eventually getting drafted as the first of two third-round picks (63rd overall) by the Kansas City Chiefs in the third round in 2013, according to Sports Illustrated.

Travis Kelce was called a 'train-wreck character-wise' by the evaluator

Before he was drafted, in February 2013, during the combine of offensive linemen and tight ends in Indianapolis he was called a train wreck.

According to Pro Football Weekly at the time, as reported by CBS Tampa Bay, an unnamed NFL evaluator called Kelce “a train-wreck character-wise” and said his baggage would push him down until the third round at least.

Kelce understood that the interviews and meetings at the combine would have significant meaning for him and present a tremendous opportunity to represent himself.

“Just let them know that I’m a high-character guy,” Kelce reportedly said, adding “There’s stuff that’s happened in my past that’s happened. I’ve dealt with it.

"I’ve learned from it and I’ve overcome everything that’s happened earlier in my college career. And to let them know who I am as a person, that I’m willing to do whatever the team needs me to do and I’m all for the organization as a whole," he added.

Who helped Travis Kelce revive football career?

It was Travis Kelce's older brother, Philadelphia Eagles center, Jason Kelce who helped Kelce revive his football career after Marujuna's suspension.

He played Cincinnati from 2006 to 2010.

"He went into the coach's office and talked to numerous coaches to try and give me another chance," he further said.

"I'm forever in debt to this guy for putting his name, our name -- the Kelce name -- on the line. When I say I owe it all to him, I really do," he continued.

Travis Kelce had a tough start to his NFL career. He hurt his knee badly in his first year and needed surgery and spent the majority of the 2013 season on the club's injured reserve list.

He could only play one snap on special teams that year. Kelce holds numerous records under his name in NFL history.

Tags news