Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Can Nevada be the next Hollywood? Here's why Mark Wahlberg and Jeremy Renner are pushing move for new film capital

2023-06-05 17:49
Jeremy Renner and Mark Wahlberg have lobbied lawmakers with demands to create a new Hollywood in Nevada
Can Nevada be the next Hollywood? Here's why Mark Wahlberg and Jeremy Renner are pushing move for new film capital

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA: Mark Wahlberg is pushing to build a new Hollywood in Las Vegas months after leaving his Los Angeles home for providing a “better life” to his children. On Wednesday, May 31, the actor lobbied Nevada lawmakers to pass a bill that would increase tax credits for film production from $10 million per year to $190 million over the next 20 years. Prior to Wahlberg, Jeremy Renner made similar efforts to work towards developing a new film capital in northern Nevada.

The Marvel star lobbied authorities on May 22 for creating a third site in northern Nevada that he believed could rival film production studios in Atlanta and New Mexico. However, democratic Senator Roberta Lange of Las Vegas, the sponsor of the bill, and Brandon Birtcher, a developer who led the project, said it was too late to add another site. Wahlberg and Renner’s backing is the latest among celebrities and states looking to make Hollywood 2.0 after policies in California led to high taxes, increased ‘woke’ culture, rampant crimes and homelessness.

‘There’s so much more opportunity’

Wahlberg opened up about dreams for a new Hollywood during an interview with CNBC outside the Nevada Legislature. “I would love to see us building studios, creating jobs and just diversifying the economy,” the actor said. “I’ve moved my last film here. I’m shooting another film here coming up in the summertime,” he added.

“I think there’s so much more opportunity to be created here. There’s so much growth and so much potential, it’s a wonderful opportunity for everybody to prosper,” ‘The Departed’ star shared. Wahlberg’s efforts come after he bid goodbye to his life in Los Angeles and listed his 12-bedroom, 20-bathroom Beverly Hills mansion on the market for $87.5 million last year. He then moved to the income tax-free state of Nevada to give a “better life” to his children.

Wahlberg has already made at least two purchases in the Nevada, a $15.6 million 2.5-acre block of land in an exclusive area that he plans to build and a $14.5 million bungalow to live during construction, as per Elite Agent. The actor also told Fox Business that he believes Vegas have the potential to become “Hollywood 2.0.” “We’re looking to create 10,000 jobs on the studio alone. The average salary would be $100,000 more than what it is now. We want to train people both in front of and behind the camera, create jobs, most importantly, first and foremost, for locals,” he shared.

“And then, after that, I think we can attract a lot of people. The housing market is great,” Wahlberg mentioned. The ‘Boogie Nights’ star even praised Republican Governor Joe Lombardo for his efforts towards the betterment of Nevada’s economic base. “There's lots of opportunity for growth here, and the government, especially our new governor, is really looking for opportunities to create jobs outside of gaming,” Wahlberg said.

‘I have a desire’

Renner, who moved to Nevada nearly a decade ago, opened up about his efforts to push for a third site for film production in northern Nevada. “I have a desire and want to speak up for people in Elko (County), people up here in Washoe (County), that we also deserve the opportunity to reap the benefits of building studios, jobs, infrastructure for the film industry,” the actor told the Associated Press. “And that’s my main impetus to be here,” he added.

Renner also mentioned that he wants to work on films closer to home. He also argued that the area’s landscape including Reno, Lake Tahoe, and rural strip of land would draw interest from major studios across and said that he believes a third site would give competition to film production studios in Atlanta and New Mexico where he shot ‘Avengers’ and other films.

The ‘Hawkeye’ actor also stated that Nevada’s incentives could rival Georgia’s, which has become the nationwide leader in film production incentives by receiving a 30% break on in-state costs that are not capped along with other local incentives. However, bill sponsor Lange dashed Renner’s hopes and said a northern Nevada expansion would take more tax credits than the current proposal.

“It took two years to get that bill to where it is today. And so to bring in something else, a whole new idea at this point, it’s probably not going to work. But I think we need to look at it,” Lange explained. Renner mentioned that he even talked to Disney and other media companies about bringing more films to northern Nevada but said he was frustrated about the lack of inclusion. “I don’t know how to put a bill together or try to move the needle forward. And I’m not a policy guy,” the actor stated. “So I was really excited about (the bill). And then I was frustrated that it wasn’t very inclusive,” he shared.

Tags news