Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Taxi Driver' writer Paul Schrader responds to rumors about Robert De Niro's return as Travis Bickle for Uber ad

2023-09-25 21:49
There are rumors that Robert De Niro will reprise his iconic 'Taxi Driver' role for an Uber ad campaign in the UK
'Taxi Driver' writer Paul Schrader responds to rumors about Robert De Niro's return as Travis Bickle for Uber ad

MANHATTAN, BOROUGH OF NEW YORK: Legendary screenwriter Paul Schrader, 77, expressed his reservations on social media in response to an article titled '80-Year-Old DeNiro Is Meaningless in Travis Bickle Context' on Hollywood Elsewhere.

There is speculation that Robert De Niro might be reprising his iconic role from 'Taxi Driver' for a UK Uber campaign.

Speculation about Robert De Niro's possible return as Travis Bickle

In his Facebook comment, Schrader, who wrote the 1976 classic, remarked, "Ouch. Why Bob would do this is beyond my reckoning. But I haven't seen it. If I'm lucky I never will."

Robert De Niro was spotted in London filming an Uber commercial alongside actor Asa Butterfield, leading to speculations about his involvement in the campaign.

However, De Niro's representative, Stan Rosenfield, clarified that the 80-year-old actor would not be reprising his role as Travis Bickle, nor would he use Bickle's famous line, 'You talkin' to me?' "De Niro’s Uber commercial has nothing to do with his Taxi Driver character," Rosenfield told The Hollywood Reporter.

Uber confirmed De Niro's participation in an upcoming advertising campaign set to launch later in the year in the UK. The ride-sharing company stated, "We are filming with Robert De Niro in London for a new Uber UK campaign, which will launch later in the year," as reported by Variety.

'Taxi Driver', released in February 1976, featured an ensemble cast, including Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd, Albert Brooks, Diahnne Abbott, and the late Peter Boyle.

'Taxi Driver' legacy and Paul Schrader's impact

The film follows the mentally disturbed loner Travis Bickle, a New York City cab driver, through a series of violent interactions and relationships.

'Taxi Driver' received four Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture and Best Actor for Robert De Niro, and remains a cultural classic.

Paul Schrader has collaborated with director Martin Scorsese on several acclaimed films, such as 'Raging Bull', 'The Last Temptation of Christ', and 'Bringing Out the Dead'.

He has also written and directed his own films, including 'American Gigolo', 'Affliction', 'First Reformed' (for which he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay), and 'Master Gardener', released in 2022.

With the new ad, Robert De Niro will join the ranks of celebrities who have promoted Uber in recent years, including Gwyneth Paltrow, Sarah Silverman, Trevor Noah, Jennifer Coolidge, and Nicholas Braun.

Meanwhile, De Niro and Scorsese's 10th film together, 'Killers of the Flower Moon' is scheduled for release on October 20. The highly-anticipated crime drama is set in the 1920s and features Leonardo DiCaprio, Lily Gladstone, Jesse Plemons, Tantoo Cardinal, John Lithgow, and Brendan Fraser.

Tags news