Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Why is MrBeast not happy with Elon Musk? Twitter fiasco involving AOC explored

2023-05-31 18:16
YouTuber MrBeast is evidently dissatisfied with how Twitter boss Elon Musk handled the drama involving a fake account in the name of AOC
Why is MrBeast not happy with Elon Musk? Twitter fiasco involving AOC explored

YouTube sensation MrBeast expressed his disappointment regarding the ongoing Twitter drama. MrBeast is apparently unhappy with Elon Musk over the controversy involving Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Musk and MrBeast have been known to engage in friendly banter on social media. During one such exchange, Musk agreed to hand over Twitter to the Youtuber if he dies under "mysterious circumstances."

Meanwhile, the politician has found herself embroiled in a sticky situation on Twitter. A fake account in AOC’s name has been spreading false information, and unfortunately, many people have been falling for it. The presence of fake accounts on social media is nothing new, but the blue tick verification was only provided to real accounts of celebrities and public figures until recently. However, since Musk introduced a pay-to-verify system where anyone can pay to get a blue tick, it has become increasingly easy for impostors to deceive unsuspecting users. This new verification system seems to be the main reason why people have been largely unable to tell the account in AOC's name is fake.

What is happening on Twitter?

From her original account, AOC complained, “FYI there’s a fake account on here impersonating me and going viral. The Twitter CEO has engaged it, boosting visibility. It is releasing false policy statements and gaining spread. I am assessing with my team how to move forward. In the meantime, be careful of what you see.”

This tweet was then quote-tweeted by the fake account named ‘Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Press Release (parody)‘ saying, “I can’t believe someone would do that to us.”

MrBeast, who has had frequent friendly exchanges with Musk, then replied to the quote-tweet. He said, “How is Elon letting this slide lol.”

To put this into context, Musk is not only letting it slide. He has even commented on one of the fake account’s controversial tweets, which gave it more reach.

Elon Musk's comment on fake AOC tweet

On May 29, 2023, the fake account tweeted, “This might be the wine talking, but I’ve got a crush on @elonmusk."

Musk, who is not one to shy away from social media banter, engaged with the fake account by replying with a fire emoji. This led to the tweet receiving over 26 million views. As of now, the fake account has garnered a following of over 228,500 users.

While the account name includes the word "parody," it seems that the blue verification mark has been a significant factor in attracting users. It is worth noting that the Twitter account belonging to the real Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has a grey verification mark. Musk had introduced a new system that includes a grey mark for government officials, so the absence of this mark on the fake account could have raised suspicion. However, the blue verification mark, usually assigned to verified accounts, may have given the impostor's account an air of legitimacy that effectively fooled Musk and other Twitter users.

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online

Tags news