Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Spinnin' to 'Sweet Relief', Madison Beer explains 'Silence Between Songs' track by track

2023-10-29 17:53
In an extensive interview, Madison Beer decoded the meaning behind every track on 'Silence Between Songs'
'Spinnin' to 'Sweet Relief', Madison Beer explains 'Silence Between Songs' track by track

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Madison Beer opened up about the meaning behind every song on 'Silence Between Songs' on a PopBuzz podcast.

Madison Beer recently graced PopBuzz's 'Making The Album' podcast as a guest, where she delved into the intricacies of each track on her album. 'Making The Album' is a popular podcast and video series that offers fans an exclusive look into the creative process behind their favorite records.

In this episode, Sam Prance, the host and interviewer, took the opportunity to engage with Madison Beer about the personal and creative journey behind her music.

Madison Beer opened up about the inspiration and emotions that fueled each track, offering a deeper understanding of the album's significance.

Here are some selected highlights of what Madison had to say about several tracks from 'Silence Between Songs':

1) 'Spinnin'

Madison shared her struggle with anxiety and how it had become incredibly overwhelming at one point in her life. She believed that she would have to live with it forever until it eventually subsided. The song 'Spinnin' reflects that difficult period and questions the world's state during such a challenging time.

"I've always struggled with anxiety on and off. But there was a time where it was so intense and so consuming that I genuinely had never felt before in my life...For some reason, this anxiety spell was just so bad that I genuinely was like, 'I'm going to live the rest of my life like this'. I really believed that firmly. I remember speaking to my therapist, and I was like, 'Even when I was suicidal, at one point, I didn't feel like it was going to be forever'," she said.

Beer added, "And this was just so bad. It was so constant. It was so consuming of my whole life. I did not see an end to it at all. So I'm very grateful that it did come to an end. Thank goodness. I wrote the song, in reference to that time where I genuinely just was like, 'Did the world stop spinning?' 'Like what just what is going on?' is the main question here."

2) 'Sweet Relief'

Madison described 'Sweet Relief' as a sexy song about a taboo-like relationship, where it feels like they shouldn't be together but are. She expressed her fondness for singing and playing the song, emphasizing its playful nature.

"I think the song is really about a taboo sort of relationship. Something that just feels like we shouldn't be doing this but here we are. It is a sexy song. I love singing it. I love playing it. I loved it the second we made it. I knew it was going to be on the album. The story, I'm not going to tell you...but I will say that it's a fun song," she said.

3) 'Envy the Leaves'

Madison acknowledged that 'Envy the Leaves' is a unique and somewhat bizarre concept but found inspiration in the Beatles songs that explore unconventional themes. She shared her fascination with nature and the intriguing idea of experiencing life from a tree's perspective.

"It is definitely weird. But I love that. There's so many Beatles songs that I love that I'm like, 'This is such a random concept and not something that you would assume someone would write about'. I just thought that that's always so cool...I have a curious mind. I'm like, 'What is the experience like being a tree?' Or what is it like, experiencing that variation of of existence because it is its own existence and I think that's so cool. I find that to just be very interesting," she said.

"And people are definitely like, 'Okay'. But it's cool to me. And I've always been very inspired and interested in nature and how everything is what it is. And I think that is representative in this song," Beer added.

4) '17'

Madison reflected on a time in her life when she felt unlikable, a period that followed being dropped by her label and management. She expressed gratitude for her fans, who assured her of their support, and recognized their positive impact during that challenging phase.

"I don't have many memories from that time at all to be honest with you. It's hard when I think about that...That time was closely after I was dropped by my label and dropped by management and stuff. So I was definitely feeling like no one liked me and [my fans] assured me that that wasn't true and it was really, really fucking cool. And I was very appreciative of it," she said.

5) 'Ryder'

Madison reflected on her early years and the feeling of being unprotected and uncared for by some of the adults around her. She expressed guilt and the realization that her younger brother, Ryder, might have felt similarly. Madison acknowledged her desire to apologize to him, emphasizing the significance of an apology in mending relationships.

"I think that when I've been able to reflect on my early years, I can now look back and I can be like, 'Wow, I felt really not protected and uncared for by a lot of the adults around me.' And if I wasn't being protected and I was like the star of the show, then what does that mean for [my younger brother] Ryder? And that was a hard reality to face. And I do feel a lot of guilt around it. And I obviously try now to be like, 'You don't have anything to feel guilty for, you were also a child, doing your best and whatever.' But I think regardless, he still deserves to hear an apology, and I'm someone that I know how much an apology can mean to a person," she noted.

6) 'Nothing Matters But You'

Madison described the song as an exploration of her capacity to love someone intensely to the point where "nothing matters but you." She likened it to becoming obsessive, acknowledging that it's a feeling many people have experienced, whether in the early stages of a relationship or when having a huge crush. She emphasized the exhilarating and all-encompassing nature of this emotion.

"I have such a capacity to love someone that I think I kind of do become like nothing matters but you. It's just you or nothing. I guess that is me being an obsessive person. But it just felt important to write about. We've all been there. Whether you have a huge crush on someone or you just start dating someone or you're like in this place where you're just like, 'Oh my god, I'm obsessed with you. I'm obsessed with you and everything you do.' And what an awesome feeling is that? It's probably the best feeling in life," Beer claimed.

7) 'I Wonder'

'I Wonder' was one of the last additions to the album and is heavily inspired by the Beatles and the Beach Boys. Madison expressed her love for the song and how its lyrics play off those of 'Spinnin'. While 'Spinnin' represents an anxious place, 'I Wonder' conveys a sense of positivity and enjoying life. Madison emphasized the contrast between the two songs and her personal journey from anxiety to a more positive outlook.

"'I Wonder' was one of the last additions to the album, and I love this song so much. This is a very heavily Beatles, Beach Boys inspired song. I really, really do love this one. If you listen to ['Spinnin' and 'I Wonder'] back to back, you'll hear that the lyrics do play off of each other. It's kind of like, 'I wonder why everything is good again, and like, 'Oh, my God, life is actually positive.' And I thought it was important because I think about 'Spinnin'' being in that anxious place, I was not in that place anymore and I felt good and I felt positive. And I was like, 'Wow, I actually enjoy life again. How cool is that?'" Beer recalled.

8) 'At Your Worst'

Madison shared that 'At Your Worst' was inspired by a parental figure, though she was initially hesitant to make it public. She encouraged others not to feel ashamed of their complex relationships and the unintentional ways they may impact each other. Madison also humorously questioned why it always seems to be the dads in these scenarios.

"I think that I was hesitant to be public about the fact that it was inspired by a parental figure but I think that everyone can relate to it. And it's not something to be ashamed of. And it's also not something for my dad or my mom or anyone to be ashamed of. We all mess each other up unintentionally. And I think that every relationship is complex and difficult to navigate. Why is it always the dads though?"

9) 'Showed Me (How I Fell In Love With You)'

Madison explained that her decision to incorporate an interpolation of The Turtles' song came from her love for it. While in the studio, she revisited a playlist she had made years ago, containing music from that time period. She felt that the orchestration was perfect for her song. This was her way of paying homage to The Turtles, a group she admires.

"[The Turtles interpolation] came about because I love that song. I was in the studio when I was listening to a playlist that I had made years ago of just kind of all music from that time period. And I was like these violin swells and this arrangement needs, I need to use this, so we did! I just wanted to pay homage to them. I think they're amazing."

10) 'Home to Another One'

Madison discussed how a girl named Lucy was brought into the studio by Leroy, someone she initially hesitated to include in her creative process. However, Madison found herself bonding with Lucy and described her as one of her best friends. They collaborated on the song and developed it easily, making Lucy a valuable part of Madison's creative team.

"So a girl named Lucy was brought into the studio. Leroy brought her and was like just give it a shot. I don't like to bring new people in. I'm like, 'Nope, I've got my thing. It's on lock.' But Leroy was like, 'Let's bring this girl in. She's amazing. She's super talented.' I was like, 'Okay, fine. I'll meet her,'" she remembered.

But she quickly "fell in love with her," Beer revealed. "Literally one of my best friends ever. I adore her more than I can say. And she's just such a special person, such a special, special creative. We're so aligned. It's actually quite weird. And we came up with this idea. And we came up with the song and we wrote it so easily that I was like, 'Cool. You are a part of the crew forever now.' So yeah, she's just awesome. So credit to Lucy."

11) 'Dangerous'

Madison expressed her excitement about working with an orchestra for the song. The experience was moving, and she wanted the video to focus on the music, considering it the most important element of the song. She also praised Tobias Jesso Jr, who co-wrote the song with them.

"[Working with an orchestra] was so cool. I barely could make it through the performance of the video because they were playing it in real life. So hearing it was just so moving and beautiful. And I really wanted that video to be mainly highlighting the music because that's the most important part of the song. So that's why I chose to have them there. And then yeah, I mean, I love that song. Tobias Jesso Jr wrote the song with us who's an incredible talent," Beer said.

12) 'Reckless'

Madison shared her feelings of connection to 'Reckless' and the anticipation that it would resonate with people, following the success of 'Selfish'. She was surprised by how well 'Selfish' was received and believed that 'Reckless' would continue in that vein. Madison expressed gratitude for the positive response to the song.

"I felt in my heart when we wrote 'Reckless' that that was gonna be a song people connected with because we had 'Selfish' to lean on. And I was like, 'Selfish' connected in a way that was really shocking to all of us. We weren't anticipating 'Selfish' to click. I knew it would. I was like, I'm confident in this song. I love this song. When it came out, people loved it as well. So cool," Beer reminisced.

"But with 'Reckless' we made it as a follow up," she noted. "We were like, 'Let's make another 'Selfish'' and we beat 'Selfish'. So it's just really awesome. And I feel very lucky that people like it. And I'm sorry that people like it because that means they relate to it."

13) 'Silence Between Songs'

Madison revealed that there weren't any other contenders for the title track of the album. She felt that 'Silence Between Songs' was the natural choice, aligning with the overall theme and vibe of the record.

"There weren't really any other contenders [for the title track]. When we wrote this song, I was like, 'I think this will probably be the title track most likely. There weren't really any other contenders ever," she said.

14) 'King of Everything'

Madison clarified that 'King of Everything' isn't about a specific person. Instead, it touches on themes of male power dynamics, especially in the industry. She highlighted the loneliness that can be associated with wealth and fame. The song conveys a broader message about the worth of success when it leads to isolation.

"I'm sorry to disappoint everyone. It's not about one specific person. But yeah, I think that male power, and just especially in the industry, it's such a real thing that I know, all of my peers have experienced. And I think the song means a lot more than just that," she said.

Beer also noted, "It's not just about like, you know, this person is shitty, and they did X, Y and Z, and they've abused their power, and they've taken advantage of people. It's also kind of me trying to say, I've met and seen some of the most successful, wealthy, famous people, and they're some of the loneliest people I've ever met. And that's why I say, 'In this stone cold bed that you made, now you sleep alone in it'. It's like, what's all this worth? If you're just like alone at the end of the day?"

Tags news