Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

IShowSpeed extends support to Vinicius Jr amid racism row: 'It's hard being Black'

2023-05-22 19:23
Vinicius Jr, a Brazilian footballer who plays for Real Madrid, was subjected to racially discriminatory remarks during a match
IShowSpeed extends support to Vinicius Jr amid racism row: 'It's hard being Black'

In a display of solidarity against racism, popular streamer IShowSpeed has expressed his support for Vinicius Junior, the talented Brazilian footballer who recently found himself at the center of a racism controversy. Junior, who plays for Real Madrid, was subjected to racially discriminatory remarks during a match, prompting a wave of outrage and calls for action.

Speed is a popular YouTuber and streamer with millions of followers on various social media platforms. Junior has over 6.5 million followers on Twitter. Keep reading to learn more about the controversy.

READ MORE

IShowSpeed: Why did Lionel Messi block popular YouTuber on Instagram?

Kai Cenat and IShowSpeed to appear on show for Rumble, excited fans react

'It's hard being Black'

During Real Madrid's match against Valencia on May 21, Brazilian footballer Junior faced racial abuse, prompting an outpouring of support from fans and fellow athletes. Among those who expressed solidarity with Junior was popular YouTuber Darren, known as IShowSpeed, who took to Twitter to voice his support for the young player. Darren, an African-American streamer who frequently creates football-related content, spoke out against the racism that Black individuals face and reiterated his unwavering support for Vinicius Junior in the face of such adversity.

Valencia fans have been accused of directing racist chants toward Junior during the match, leading to a temporary halt in the game when the player brought it to the referee's attention. Tensions escalated during the closing moments of injury time, resulting in the Brazilian forward being sent off following a confrontation with opposing players. IShowspeed extended his support by tweeting, “This vini stuff is crazy its so hard being black we stand with you🇧🇷✊🏿 @vinijr”

'It wasn't the first time'

Highlighting the recurrence of such incidents, Vinicius Jr took to Twitter to share his perspective, referring to La Liga as "racist," and explained he has faced racial prejudice multiple times during his time in Spain. He claimed, “It wasn't the first time, nor the second, nor the third. Racism is normal in La Liga. The competition thinks it's normal, the Federation does too and the opponents encourage it. I'm so sorry. The championship that once belonged to Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Cristiano and Messi today belongs to racists."

He also said about Spain's reputation, "I'm sorry for the Spaniards who don't agree, but today, in Brazil, Spain is known as a country of racists. And unfortunately, for everything that happens each week, I have no defense. I agree."