Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Aquaman' director James Wan clears Amber Heard's role was 'always' intended for less despite her claim it was 'cut short'

2023-09-14 08:55
'I was given a script and then given new versions of the script that had taken away scenes,' claimed Amber Heard
'Aquaman' director James Wan clears Amber Heard's role was 'always' intended for less despite her claim it was 'cut short'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: James Wan has defended that he ‘short’ role of Amber Heard in ‘Aquaman’ sequel was preplanned.

The ‘In The Fire’ star, in her court statement, testified that her appearance on the screen was ‘very pared down’ amid negative attention in 2022.

Talking to Entertainment Weekly, the director said, "I always pitched this to everyone from the get-go. The first 'Aquaman' was Arthur and Mera's journey. The second movie was always going to be Arthur and Orm."

The 47-year-old continued, "So, the first was a romance action-adventure movie, the second one is a bromance action-adventure movie. We'll leave it at that."

Why did Johnny Depp sue his ex-wife Amber Heard?

Johnny Depp sued Heard for defamation over a 2018 op-ed where the ‘Drive Angry’ actress alleged that she suffered abuse without naming him.

The 60-year-old won all three claims while she managed to win one of her three counterclaims. Heard ended up paying him $1 million in damages after their settlement.

She shot for her part in 'Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom' before the trial began.

Amber Heard claimed her role was trimmed

"I fought really hard to stay in the movie. They didn't want to include me in the film," Heard said on the stand about the sequel.

"I was given a script and then given new versions of the script that had taken away scenes that had action in it, that depicted my character and another character — without giving any spoilers away — two characters fighting with one another, and they basically took a bunch out of my role. They just removed a bunch out," the 37-year-old added.

"The character's involvement in the story was what it was from the beginning," Walter Hamada, a former president of DC Films testified during the trial.

"My understanding is actually the production went very smoothly," he said on being asked about issues faced due to lawsuits.

Amber's talent agent Jessica Kovacevic testified during the hearing that she was told her client's role in 'Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom' was reduced 'due to chemistry issues with Momoa.' But the agent believes it had something to do with 'negative press,' according to People.

Back in November 2020, Heard called the reports claiming she would never return for the sequel "untrue."

"I'm super excited about the amount of fan love and the amount of fan appreciation that 'Aquaman' has acquired and that it has garnered so much excitement for 'Aquaman' and that it means we'll be coming back," she said at the time.