Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Why is OJ Simpson upset about Henry Ruggs' prison sentence? Former NFL legend reacts to ex-Raiders player getting a 3 to 10-year term

2023-08-10 19:52
OJ Simpson was sentenced to nine to 33 years in prison in 2008, in connection to an armed robbery in Las Vegas
Why is OJ Simpson upset about Henry Ruggs' prison sentence? Former NFL legend reacts to ex-Raiders player getting a 3 to 10-year term

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: OJ Simpson weighed in on the sentencing of former NFL player Henry Ruggs, expressing his strong dissatisfaction with what he sees as a significant disparity in punishment compared to his own experience.

The ex-convict voiced his perplexity over the outcome. Ruggs, who was charged in connection to a DUI that led to a death of a woman in November 2021, received a comparatively lenient sentence of just three to 10 years.

Who is Henry Ruggs?

Henry Ruggs III is a professional football player who previously played as a wide receiver in the National Football League (NFL). He was born on January 24, 1999.

Ruggs played college football for the University of Alabama before entering the NFL. He was selected as the 12th overall pick in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft by the Las Vegas Raiders.

He is known for his exceptional speed and agility, which made him a highly sought-after prospect in the draft.

In November 2021, Ruggs was involved in a tragic incident where he was driving under the influence of alcohol and caused a high-speed crash in Las Vegas that resulted in the death of Tina Tintor, 23. Apparently, his car was at an astonishing speed of over 155 mph.

Why is OJ Simpson upset about Henry Ruggs' prison sentence?

Simpson took to Twitter to post a video with the caption, "The math just does not add up." "I know I went to college on a football scholarship but somehow this math is not adding up to me," said the former footballer at the start of the video.

Notably, Simpson was sentenced to 33 years in prison in 2008, in connection to an armed robbery in Las Vegas, with the possibility of parole after nine years.

"You're driving a car at roughly 160 miles per hour on a public street and end up killing a girl and her dog, and you get three to ten years," stated Simpson in the video.

Then, the former NFL legend compared it with his sentencing and emphasized, "You go to a hotel room, that you're invited to, to retrieve your own personal stolen property, property I now have because it was ruled to be mine by the state of California - and you get nine to 33 years?"

"Same courthouse, same city, same state. I don't know. Somehow just does not add up to me. I'm just saying," said Simpson, concluding the video.

For the last 18 months, Ruggs has been on house arrest after putting up a $150,000 bail. During this period, he has been closely monitored, including alcohol supervision.

Following a plea deal that resulted in a reduced sentence, there is speculation that he might have the chance to resume his NFL career once his sentence is served. Should he be granted parole in his initial year of eligibility, similar to OJ Simpson, Ruggs would be released from prison at the age of 27.