Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is the lead singer of Pavement? Band reacts to mention during Ken's 'mansplaining' scene in 'Barbie'

2023-07-25 18:24
'We are aware of the Barbie Movie rumours and are awaiting guidance from legal but as a rule we are pro-Greta,' joked the band
Who is the lead singer of Pavement? Band reacts to mention during Ken's 'mansplaining' scene in 'Barbie'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Greta Gerwig's 'Barbie' movie in which Margot Robbie plays the titular Mattel doll has received praise from critics and shattered box office records after its release on Friday, July 21. Concepts like Barbie Land, Barbie in the real world, and the stunning pink fashion are just a few of the movie's elements that fans are loving. But the soundtrack is also getting rave reviews. There are a ton of great songs on the OST album from artists like Lizzo, Charli XCX, Nicki Minaj, and Dua Lipa, but a particular band mention has startled a lot of fans.

Audiences were unprepared for a reference to Pavement, the California indie rock band best known for smashing songs like 1991's 'Debris Slide' and 2002's 'Here'. The mention comes in a scene where the movie's Kens, led by Ryan Gosling, "mansplain" to the Barbies. One of them makes a reference to 'The Godfather', while another discusses the significance of Pavement's lead singer Stephen Malkmus and how the musician was influenced by Lou Reed of the Velvet Underground.

Who is the lead singer of Pavement?

The influential indie rock band Pavement was founded in 1989 in California. Stephen Malkmus, also known as SM, is the band's lead singer, guitarist, and main songwriter. He was joined by Scott Kannberg, Mark Ibold, Steve West, and Bob Nastanovich in various lineups. Pavement went on tour after calling it quits in 1999 in 2010 and 2022–2023, as per reports.

Malkmus has dabbled in many various musical genres throughout the years. In his album 'Traditional Techniques', he explores folk music. "It was in the back of my mind, always, that I might want to have some rules about making a record," he said, as reported NPR. "I was always curious about how my work would change if I was playing quieter and singing lower."

Band reacts to mention in 'Barbie'

The term "mansplain" is used to characterize how men underestimate the knowledge women already have and explain concepts they may already know. Many viewers expressed their admiration for the indie rock moment on social media after the name-drop stunned them. The band was similarly taken off guard by the mention and they joked about it on Instagram. "We are aware of the Barbie Movie rumours and are awaiting guidance from legal but as a rule we are pro-Greta," they quipped. "Not a sponsored post but CAN BE @barbiethemovie just DM us for Venmo," the band said beside a picture of Malmus wearing the Mattel Barbie insignia.

'The Pavement sneak in the barbie movie is cray'

Fans immediatly reacted to the Pavement band joke. "ken mansplaining pavement in the barbie movie was very personal to me, actually," a fan said on Twitter. "Still thinking about Barbie pavement reference I can’t believe that happened I was Shocked stunned agape in the theater soooo good," another fan wrote. "The Pavement reference in Barbie means so much to me," tweeted a third person. "I'm the guy who laughed way too hard at the Stephen Malkmus Pavement joke in Barbie," claimed a fourth fan. "the pavement sneak in the barbie movie is cray," claimed another.

Tags news epcelebs