Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Roger Waters urges for 'permanent ceasefire' between Hamas and Israel, fans hail him as 'voice of reason'

2023-10-14 21:54
Pink Floyd singer Roger Waters pens down his heartfelt message for humanity amid the Israel-Hamas war
Roger Waters urges for 'permanent ceasefire' between Hamas and Israel, fans hail him as 'voice of reason'

LONDON, UK: Pink Floyd member Roger Waters is among the host of celebrities who have used social media to voice their opinions on the recent escalation of hostilities between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas.

Taking to his social media accounts, Roger shared his message for human rights and asked for "equal human rights for all its citizens irrespective of their ethnicity or religion or previous nationality."

On October 7, the Israeli military and security agencies were taken by surprise when Hamas launched an attack on Israel. This prompted Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to declare, "We are at war."

Several celebrities have used social media to express their compassion and support for Israel and the civilians involved in the violence as the situation makes headlines around the world. There was also backing for the Palestinians online, especially among those who have relatives in Gaza.

Roger Waters urges for 'equal human rights for all its citizens'

Leading human rights activist Roger took to The Palestine Chronicle to contribute his views. He said that the sounds of the war are "the cacophony of the death rattle of the settler colonial, ethno-supremacist, apartheid, state of Israel."

Condemning war crimes, Roger wrote about his Palestinian friend, Lama Al-Arian, who lives in Beirut, who had sent him a text message in the middle of the night informing him that an Israeli bomb had killed eleven members of her family, including a two-year-old cousin.

Moreover, adding to his social media message, Roger said, "Here’s my suggestion of what should be done. It is only an opinion, but it is shared by many. There must be an immediate and permanent ceasefire. No more killing by anyone, Hamas and IDF included."

"This would require Israel to recognize that the Zionist experiment has failed, as its sustenance appears contingent on further acts of violence. It would also bring an end to Israel's unlawful military occupation of all Palestinian territory," he stated.

Roger went on to say, "This would be a New State with equal human rights for all its citizens irrespective of their ethnicity or religion or previous nationality."

"My heart is heavy. I weep for all my brothers and sisters in the Holy Land: Muslims, Christians, Jewish, Druze, Agnostic, and Atheist alike."

He added, "The attacks on civilians, whether they have been by Hamas last Saturday or now the State of Israel on a massive scale in Gaza, have thrown into sharp relief the fact that Palestinians have been suffering violence, intimidation, and displacement for over seventy years."

He further said, "Only now is the Western World beginning to wake up because of the events of the last few days."

In the end, Roger asked, "Do we believe in Universal Human Rights or not?"

"We either dream of a world where all men and women are equal under the law or we don’t. Who is to blame for the bloodshed? The oppressor is. No ifs, no buts." he added.

He ends his note by saying, "To whom it may concern. Please stop."

Internet users hail Roger Waters 'for standing with what’s morally right'

Following Roger's message amid the ongoing conflict, Internet users took to X (formerly Twitter) to hail the 'Pink Floyd' singer.

One X user praised the artist and wrote, "You’ve always been the voice of truth roger (sic) ur a true king for standing with what’s morally right."

A second commenter praised, "A voice of reason," while a third one expressed, "ROGERS WATERS YOU BRAVE HERO. HISTORY SHALL REMEMBER YOU AS SUCH."

Another online follower typed, "Equal human rights isn’t necessarily an antidote to war."

One follower agreed with the artist and wrote, "I stand in solidarity with @rogerwaters With every single word. — Bill Ziegler, Jr."

"That is the Dream… My heart is Heavy… I Dream of a world where we can all get along… You spoke my heart R!" exclaimed another one.

Roger's fans and followers went on supporting his statement with another saying, "For mankind’s well being, may your “Dream” become a “Reality” Roger."

"Very well said, Roger. If only people had the sense to stop," praised another one.

One X user said, "Absolutely true that you're talking about the issue since 20 years ago. Israel nor the international political community heard you, and then this happen. Violence generates more violence. Thanks for sharing your words, you're legend, first as human being, and then as musician."

Tags news