Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Firestarter: Prodigy's Maxim burnt his artwork following Keith Flint's death

2023-11-15 18:20
Maxim didn't want to be seen as "cashing in" on someone's death.
Firestarter: Prodigy's Maxim burnt his artwork following Keith Flint's death

Prodigy frontman Maxim burnt his artwork after his bandmate Keith Flint died by suicide.

The 56-year-old vocalist and artist created a series of artworks of famous people who died aged 27, who are part of the so-called 27 Club, who passed away as a result of drug and alcohol abuse or suicide.

However, after his beloved bandmate tragically took his own life in 2019, aged 49, he couldn't carry on with his drug-themed artwork and took it out into the garden and set it on fire.

He told Metro.co.uk: "I painted a lot of art then. It’s another form of expression for me, just like the band and like designing my own clothes."

Maxim continued: "I can’t actually remember that time. I think I blocked it out.

"When you’re in it you can’t imagine getting through it, but here I am four-and-a-half years later.

"Of course, the dynamic has changed.

"He’s not here. We go on. But his spirit is here."

The 'Firestarter' hitmaker had started the project more than a decade ago, but he didn't want to be seen as part of the artists "cashing in" on someone's passing.

He explained: "Over 10 years ago, I had this concept of doing some artwork with people who’d passed away at 27 and died from drug overdoses. The 27 Club – people like Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison.

"I always just tried to push the boundaries of art and because it was drug overdoses, I did these paintings with pills. After that, quite a few people started using pills in their art too.

"But it got to a point where I didn’t feel it was right – and it was probably because of Keith.

"After he died I destroyed them. I burnt them like a bonfire in the back garden.

"I saw people creating artwork after Keith… cashing in. I didn’t want to be any part of that and I vowed not to do musicians then."