Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Jeanne du Barry' director reveals how 'cultural differences' with Johnny Depp almost derailed film

2023-06-14 20:45
When Maiwenn knocked on Johnny Depp's door, he made her understand she had committed an 'unacceptable intrusion'
'Jeanne du Barry' director reveals how 'cultural differences' with Johnny Depp almost derailed film

FRANCE: French director Maiwenn's 'Jeanne du Barry', starring Johnny Depp, is one of the most widely anticipated films in 2023. One of the reasons people cannot wait for the film to release is because it is the actor's first film after the contentious defamation trial against his ex-wife, Amber Heard.

According to the plot, Jeanne, portrayed by Maiwenn, becomes one of the favorites of King Louis XV, portrayed by Depp. The director and the actor, however, reportedly did not get along, according to rumors that started circulating during filming. Working with the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' star was not easy for the director.

'I was not allowed to knock on his dressing room door'

Maiwenn acknowledged that it was challenging to work with Depp. When discussing his behavior on set, the director admitted that she was instructed not to inform him that "we were waiting for him to shoot a scene," as reported by World of Reel. She said, "I was not allowed to knock on his dressing room door. One day, I did it anyway. And there, he made me understand that I had committed an unacceptable intrusion and asked me how I would have felt if he came knocking on my dressing room door. I replied that everyone does it all the time. Because that’s how a set works in France!"

'But in France, the boss is the director'

Maiwenn discussed how American performers aren't actually directed while stating that Depp behaved the way he did because of the cultural differences. The filmmaker stated, "But in France, the boss is the director. So for every take, I obviously shot his proposals, but I also asked him to interpret my own vision so that we could have a choice during editing. He was game for that."

'Like a silent actor'

Maiwenn further spoke about American actor’s "star status" and said his weak French was another obstacle she had to overcome, but she managed this by relying less on language and more on her ability to express feelings without using words. She said, "His star status, he didn't steal it. For me, as someone who wants a less talky film, it's fascinating to see everything that Johnny conveys through his face, his gaze. Like a silent actor."

Tags news