Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Tracy Spiridakos exits 'Chicago P.D.' after playing Hailey Upton for 8 seasons, fans fear end of NBC show

2023-10-25 16:48
Tracy Spiridakos initially joined the show in Season 4 as a recurring character and was subsequently promoted to a series regular in Season 5
Tracy Spiridakos exits 'Chicago P.D.' after playing Hailey Upton for 8 seasons, fans fear end of NBC show

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: After eight seasons of bringing tenacious Detective Hailey Upton to life on 'Chicago P.D.,' Tracy Spiridakos is bidding adieu to the popular NBC drama, leaving fans with a sense of uncertainty about the show's future.

Spiridakos, 35, initially joined the show in Season 4 as a recurring character. She quickly became a fan favorite and was subsequently promoted to a series regular in Season 5. Throughout her tenure on the show, she earned praise for her portrayal of the determined detective.

Why did Tracy Spiridakos depart the show?

This recent departure follows the exit of her former co-star, Jesse Lee Soffer, who left the Dick Wolf-created series during Season 10. His final episode aired in October 2022, marking the end of his decade-long run as Detective Jay Halstead.

Soffer's departure stemmed from his desire to explore new opportunities after dedicating a substantial part of his career to the show.

Who are the cast of 'Chicago P.D.'?

The core cast of 'Chicago P.D.' has included stellar actors like Jason Beghe (as Hank Voight), Patrick Flueger (as Adam Ruzek), Marina Squerciati (as Kim Burgess), LaRoyce Hawkins (as Kevin Atwater), and Amy Morton (as Trudy Platt). These actors have played pivotal roles in shaping the show's dynamic and have endeared themselves to fans throughout the series.

Over the years, several other actors from the One Chicago universe, which includes 'Chicago Fire' and 'Chicago Med,' have bid farewell to 'Chicago P.D.' Notable departures include Sophia Bush, Jon Seda, Elias Koteas, and Brian Geraghty, each leaving a significant void in the show's ensemble cast.

Notable departures from 'Chicago P.D.' in recent years

Sophia Bush as Erin Lindsay (Seasons 1-4)

Bush's departure from 'Chicago P.D.' after four seasons generated significant interest. The actress, who portrayed Det. Erin Lindsay, later revealed that on-set conditions and a hostile work environment had contributed to her decision to leave the show in 2017.

“I programmed myself to tolerate the intolerable,” Bush shared to Dax Shepard on his podcast 'Armchair Expert.' “And part of the big break for me in saying, ‘No. I don’t necessarily know what it is, but I know that what’s happening is not good for me and everything has to change.’ That was a big cutoff point when I quit my job.”

Jesse Lee Soffer as Jay Halstead (Seasons 1-10)

Soffer's portrayal of Detective Jay Halstead spanned an impressive ten seasons, during which his character grew both personally and professionally. In 2022, his choice to step away from the CPD in pursuit of new adventures had a profound effect on both the show and its devoted audience.

“I really wanted to grow and expand, and we've only got this one trip,” Soffer said. “If I signed up again, it would have been for another three years. I would have turned 40 on the show," Today reports.

Jon Seda as Antonio Dawson (Seasons 1-6)

Seda's character, Antonio Dawson, was a steadfast presence in the Intelligence Unit, serving as its second-in-command. His departure in Season 6 marked the end of an era, leaving a void in the squad that was often instrumental in balancing the team's dynamics.

Following his P.D. exit in 2019, the actor tweeted, "It’s been an honor portraying Det. Antonio Dawson in the One Chicago world. To my cast family, I’ll always treasure the time and stories we shared. To all you Chi-Hards out there, THANK YOU for being the best of fans! We’ll always have CHICAGO."

Elias Koteas as Detective Alvin Olinsky (Seasons 1-5)

Koteas brought Detective Alvin Olinsky to life, captivating fans with his portrayal. Olinsky's unwavering dedication to his work and his complex relationship with Sergeant Hank Voight left an indelible mark.

However, Koteas's exit from the show left fans discussing for years. Although it wasn't the actor's decision to write off Olinsky after showrunner Rick Eid clarified that the decision to kill off the character was made by the creative team.

“It was a decision that evolved organically from the ongoing storyline between Voight and Woods. The writers and I kept coming back to this idea that Voight’s decision to kill Bingham should cost him something. Over time, we landed on the notion that Olinsky should be the person to pay for Voight’s sin because Voight admired and loved him so much,” said Eid, as per Fansided.

Brian Geraghty as Officer Sean Roman (Seasons 2-3)

Geraghty's character, Officer Sean Roman, joined the cast during the show's second season. His partnership with Kim Burgess transitioned from a professional relationship to a flirtatious one. Geraghty explained that he said goodbye to 'P.D.' to explore new opportunities in his career.

Archie Kao as Officer Sheldon Jin (Season 1 )

The shocking death of Archie Kao as Officer Sheldon Jin in the first season's finale left a lasting impact. His character's betrayal and ultimate demise served as a dramatic wake-up call to the Intelligence Unit about the dangers they faced in their line of work.

Fans express support for Tracy Spiridakos' decision

As fans eagerly await the return of 'Chicago P.D.' for its eleventh season, the show has faced production delays due to the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike. Nevertheless, viewers are eager to see how the series will evolve and adapt in the wake of Spiridakos' departure, as her character was a significant presence within the Intelligence Unit.

A user tweeted, "we love you tracy and quoting upstead “we are gonna follow you anywhere” Another added, "Good for her. She ain’t going down with the ship. Cpd has been on life support for a while. Shows don’t Last forever."

A third claimed, "Thank God. Chicago PD never deserved Tracy Spiridakos. She always deserved so much more. She was the best thing to happen to the show in the last few seasons." Another added, "That sucks." "this is sad news. She is great on the show," read a tweet.

Tags news