Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Saying goodbye to Rosalynn Carter: Moving photos from former First Lady's memorial service

2023-11-30 19:23
The memorial service for Rosalynn Carter was held in her cherished hometown in Georgia
Saying goodbye to Rosalynn Carter: Moving photos from former First Lady's memorial service

The Carter family bids Rosalynn a final farewell at private funeral

The funeral for former first lady Rosalynn Carter, who died on November 19 at 96, took place on Tuesday, November 28. Former president Jimmy Carter, 99, was joined in mourning by President Joe Biden, First Lady Jill Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff, and every living first lady and most presidents at a private memorial service held at Atlanta's Emory University. The Carters' house hosted a private burial after a service for relatives and guests on Wednesday, November 29. Rosalynn will be buried at the Carter family's historic Georgia home on Wednesday, the final memorial service of the week.

Arrival of the casket

Rosalynn Carter's coffin was carried by a military honor guard on November 28 from the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum in Atlanta to Glenn Memorial Church at Emory University.

Arrival of former President Jimmy Carter

Jimmy Carter, 99, who is receiving hospice care, attended the gathering sporting a blanket honoring significant figures and locations in his family's history. Carter donned a crimson lei at the burial on Wednesday in remembrance of the time he and Rosalynn spent together in Hawaii while he was in the Navy.

Joe Biden at the funeral service

Along with former President Bill Clinton, President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden entered the church. "Rosalynn did so much to address many of society’s greatest needs," the Bidens penned in a statement after her death, per People. The four surviving former first ladies—Melania Trump, Michelle Obama, Laura Bush, and Hillary Clinton—were all present.

Vice President Kamala Harris attends Rosalynn Carter's funeral

Vice President Kamala Harris and Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff were also present to pay their tribute to the former First Lady. The vice president paid tribute to Rosalynn Carter on November 19, saying, "As a humanitarian, a public servant, and a global leader, Mrs Carter improved the lives of millions—and inspired countless more to dedicate their lives to service. Her legacy will be a beacon for generations to come."

The Carter family attends Rosalynn Carter's memorial in Georgia

A large number of the Carters' relatives were present; the couple had four children together, as well as a total of 22 grandkids and great-grandchildren. A few of the younger family members gave speeches during Tuesday's funeral. Amy Carter, daughter of former President Jimmy Carter and Rosalynn Carter, appeared emotional while speaking at the service.

James 'Chip' Carter paid a moving tribute to his mother

James Earl "Chip" Carter III made a moving speech about his mom, Rosalynn Carter. One of the lines was this: "My mother was the glue that held our family together through the ups and downs and thicks and thins of our family's politics. As individuals, she believed in us and took care of us." He credited his mom for saving his life as he shared: "She was influential in getting me into rehab for my drug and alcohol addiction. She saved my life."

Longtime friends Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood perform at Rosalynn Carter's funeral

Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks, who have been longtime friends of the Carters, sang a duet of John Lennon's 'Imagine'.

Rosalynn Carter's great-grandson pays tribute to her

After a few heartfelt remarks from family members at the memorial service, more intimate memories were shared during the funeral, some of which were from great-grandson Charles Jeffrey Carter.

Former first lady Hillary Clinton at the memorial service

Former President Bill Clinton, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former First Lady Michelle Obama traveled from Washington, DC to Marietta, Georgia, aboard Air Force One, along with President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden, to attend the solemn memorial service.

Michelle Obama grateful for Rosalynn Carter's support

Shortly after attending the memorial service, former First Lady, Michelle Obama wrote, "When our family was in the White House, every so often, Rosalynn would join me for lunch, offering a few words of advice and always — always — a helping hand. She reminded me to make the role of First Lady my own, just like she did. I’ll always remain grateful for her support and her generosity."

Former First Lady Melania Trump looks solemn at the service

Former First Lady Melania Trump attended the service without her husband, Donald Trump, and sat at the end of the first row next to Michelle Obama, who also attended the service without husband Barack Obama.

'The greatest First Lady ever'

During the funeral, Pastor Tony Lowden referred to Rosalynn as "the greatest First Lady ever," per Atlanta News First. "She served every nation around the world," he said.

Farewell, Mrs Carter

The funeral was preceded by a moment of silence by Georgia State Patrol members outside Maranatha Baptist Church. The casket was carried out of the church by members of the armed forces on their way to Rosalynn's final resting place after her funeral.

Tags news