Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Meryl Gordon: Author claims Anderson Cooper relied on her book for his own, and only did one interview

2023-09-12 14:24
Anderson Cooper is set to release his book 'Astor: The Rise and Fall of an American Fortune,' on September 19
Meryl Gordon: Author claims Anderson Cooper relied on her book for his own, and only did one interview

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Meryl Gordon, author of a New York Times best-selling book on the Astor family, 'Mrs. Astor Regrets: The Hidden Betrayals of a Family Beyond Reproach', expressed her disappointment with CNN anchor Anderson Cooper.

She criticized him for not uncovering new information in his own book about the Astor family and heavily relying on her meticulously researched work.

Cooper, known for his book on the Vanderbilt family and his career at CNN, is set to release his book 'Astor: The Rise and Fall of an American Fortune,' on September 19.

In a video posted on Instagram on July 11, Cooper proudly displayed the "galley copy," which is a pre-publication version used for proofreading or sending to reviewers, expressing his excitement.

The publishers, Harper Collins, described Cooper as having "a passing acquaintance with Brooke Astor, the last doyenne of the family," which was likely due to his mother, Gloria Vanderbilt, who died in 2019 at 95.

"It's full of fascinating stories about this larger-than-life American family and what happened to them - they were the richest family in America for a very, very long time and owned much of the land of New York," he said.

Meryl Gordon is disappointed with Anderson Cooper

When asked for her opinion on Cooper's upcoming book, Gordon, who conducted numerous interviews with members, employees and associates of the Astor family for her 2009 book, voiced her disappointment in his approach.

"I was disappointed that he added so little to the story," Gordon told the Daily Mail, adding, "I have read the book and I have very complicated feelings about it."

Gordon pointed out her surprise at Cooper's decision to conduct just one interview with Annette de la Renta, who is 83 currently.

Why is the Astor family so rich?

The Astor family is a prominent American family with a rich history dating back to the 18th century.

They were one of the wealthiest families in the US during the 19th century, primarily due to their extensive real estate holdings in New York City.

John Jacob Astor, a German immigrant, is often considered the family's patriarch and was a prominent fur trader and real estate investor.

Jacob Astor IV, a member of the family, died on the Titanic in 1912.

The Astor family's fortune grew substantially through real estate investments, including the construction of hotels, office buildings and residential properties in Manhattan.

They were known for their philanthropic activities and played a significant role in shaping the cultural and social landscape of New York City.

One of the most famous members of the Astor family was Brooke Astor, a socialite, philanthropist and a prominent figure in New York society.

Her life and estate became the subject of considerable media attention and legal disputes in her later years.

Who is Annette de la Renta?

Annette, the widow of renowned fashion designer Oscar de la Renta, served as Brooke's court-appointed guardian for a year until her death at the age of 105 in August 2007.

"Anderson Cooper is a terrific reporter," said Gordon.

She added, "I've always really admired him so I was curious to see what he could do with this topic - and he only did one original interview with Annette de la Renta, but that's one interview."

Initially, Gordon admitted to feeling flattered when she read Cooper's book. However, she later came to the realization that in the journalist's 31-chapter book, her work was referenced a staggering 39 times.

Gordon said, "I'm disappointed, he's really good at what he does and I was curious to see what he would come up with for this topic - and he seems to come up with my book."

She added, "Again, it's flattering, but it's a little annoying too. It's just I would've expected more from him."