Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

How did Shane MacGowan die? Legendary The Pogues frontman best known for his song 'Fairytale of New York' was 65

2023-12-01 00:59
Shane MacGowan who is also known for his drug use and heavy drinking had been grappling with numerous health issues over the years
How did Shane MacGowan die? Legendary The Pogues frontman best known for his song 'Fairytale of New York' was 65

DUBLIN, IRELAND: Shane MacGowan, the iconic lead singer of the Irish punk-folk band 'The Pogues' died at the age of 65 on Thursday, November 30.

The legendary frontman died at 3 am in the presence of his wife and family, according to his band's announcement online. The exact cause of his death has not yet been disclosed.

Shane MacGowan's wife describes him as the 'most beautiful soul'

The 'Fairytale of New York' singer's wife Victoria Mary Clarke took to Instagram on Thursday, November 30, to announce her husband's death and paid a heartfelt tribute to the rocker.

"I don’t know how to say this so I am just going to say it," Clarke captioned a black and white picture of MacGowan.

"'There’s no way to describe the loss that I am feeling and the longing for just one more of his smiles that lit up my world," the singer's wife said of the "love of my life and the most beautiful soul and beautiful angel."

Inside Shane MacGowan's health battles over the years

MacGowan who is also known for his drug use and heavy drinking had been grappling with numerous health issues over the years, according to Daily Mail.

In December 2022, the singer who has been in a wheelchair since 2015 received treatment for viral encephalitis and spent extensive periods in the Intensive Care Unit over the summer.

The 'Boys from the County Hell' singer was recently discharged from the hospital after an undisclosed condition.

Behind Shane MacGowan's creation of The Pogues

MacGowan who was born in England showcased his storytelling prowess from a young age.

At the age of 13, he won a Daily Mirror literary prize and for his exceptional essays, he also earned a scholarship to London's Westminster School.

Speaking to the Guardian in 2013, MacGowan explained that his time at the school "didn’t last there very long."

"I got nicked for smoking a joint and was kicked out," he added. MacGowan's musical journey with the Pogues was marked by his desire to infuse Irish folk music with rock.

Speaking to NME in 1983, MacGowan said, "We just wanted to shove music that had roots and is just generally stronger and has more real anger and emotion, down the throats of a completely pap-oriented pop audience."

The legendary musician often delved into themes of Irish culture and nationalism.

Expressing his support of the Irish Republican Army (IRA), MacGowan confessed in Julien Temple's 2020 documentary 'Crock of Gold: A Few Rounds with Shane MacGowan' that he "was ashamed I didn’t have the guts to join the IRA — and The Pogues was my way of overcoming that."

Tags news