Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Here's why 'Thanksgiving' director Eli Roth was concerned about casting TikTok star Addison Rae: 'Going to be bad for the movie'

2023-11-21 16:54
Eli Roth acknowledged Addison Rae's rapid rise to fame through TikTok but expressed concerns about her understanding of the acting process
Here's why 'Thanksgiving' director Eli Roth was concerned about casting TikTok star Addison Rae: 'Going to be bad for the movie'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Eli Roth expressed some initial concerns about Addison Rae's casting in 'Thanksgiving'.

Roth, renowned for his contributions to the horror genre, has opened up about his initial reservations regarding the casting of TikTok sensation Addison Rae in his latest project, 'Thanksgiving'. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Roth revealed his candid conversation with Rae when she approached him about a role in the film.

Eli Roth's 'Thanksgiving' casting concerns

Eli Roth acknowledged Addison Rae's rapid rise to fame through TikTok but expressed concerns about her understanding of the acting process. He stressed the importance of casting her based on her acting abilities rather than as a stunt for publicity. Roth recounted advising Rae, saying, "Listen, unless you’re great, it’s going to feel like stunt casting. That’s going to be bad for the movie and it’s going to be bad for you."

Eli Roth said, "She was catapulted to fame in this new thing that no one understood, and I think she made [another] movie before she really understood the process of acting. And good for her for trying, but I don’t think it’s reflective of who she is as an actor."

"I don’t have TikTok, so I hadn’t seen her TikToks, but I just knew who she was. So she approached me about being in the film and I said, ‘Listen, unless you’re great, it’s going to feel like stunt casting. That’s going to be bad for the movie and it’s going to be bad for you. I only want to cast you as if you’re an actor and you’re terrific in the film.’ And she said, ‘No, I want to be in the movie, and I want to show my range,’ because it is a role where she can be natural. She can be the friend and show the fear and the terror. So I think she’s a fantastic young actor," he added.

"Addison is an incredibly generous person, and when she posted on social, she’d tag everyone to make sure that everyone was part of the group. There was no separation in star level, and everybody worked together to bring out the best. So I’m really happy for Addison. I think she’s going to have an amazing career, and she’s a superb young actor," he noted.

Roth's concerns about stunt casting quickly dissipated as he witnessed Rae's dedication during auditions and chemistry reads. The director emphasized the collaborative effort among the cast, highlighting the genuine camaraderie that developed. Roth believes that Rae's generosity and inclusivity contributed to a seamless working environment.

Despite his initial reservations, Roth commended Rae for her determination to showcase her acting range and expressed confidence in her abilities. He noted that Rae's role allowed her to be natural and display fear and terror, contributing to a well-rounded performance.

He further said, "It was about setting Addison up to succeed with amazing actors, and everyone is leveling each other up and supporting each other. So that all went away really fast. All of those concerns were gone, not just after I saw her audition but during the chemistry reads."

"And once we did a camera test where we put the kids together in their costumes, they felt so real. I said, ‘What’s going to make the movie work is if everybody believes you’re all real friends,’ and they all made such an effort. They all hung out and did everything together," Roth added.

Addison Rae reflects on the challenges of acting in the horror genre

Social media sensation Addison Rae shared insights into her experience working with director Eli Roth on the horror film 'Thanksgiving'. Acknowledging Roth as a "really nice guy," Rae expressed her feelings about the challenges of transitioning from social media to the acting realm.

Rae emphasized the importance of a positive and open working relationship with the director, stating, "I think we got really lucky, but I think just being able to be open when the director is really nice and be honest, not being afraid to take risks, and feeling comfortable enough to do it made it a really great and comfortable environment."

The TikTok star-turned-actress highlighted the supportive atmosphere created by Roth and the cast, making the acting process more accessible. Acting in a horror genre film like 'Thanksgiving' presented its challenges, but Rae seemed to appreciate the collaborative and comfortable environment that facilitated her transition.

The film, directed by Eli Roth, has garnered attention not only for its horror elements but also for Rae's performance and the chemistry within the cast.

Tags news