Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is Melanie Martinez? Former 'The Voice' singer labeled 'scammer' for charging $356 for AI-powered meet-and-greet

2023-06-30 16:57
Melanie Martinez fans were expecting a meet-and-greet but only got a video with an AI-generated hologram of her
Who is Melanie Martinez? Former 'The Voice' singer labeled 'scammer' for charging $356 for AI-powered meet-and-greet

SHERMAN OAKS, CALIFORNIA: Singer-songwriter Melanie Martinez has come under fire on social media after offering a VIP meet-and-greet experience using AI technology during her ongoing Portals tour. The 28-year-old artist performed at the Skyla Credit Union Amphitheatre in North Carolina last weekend, where some fans paid a hefty $356 for VIP packages that included a meet-and-greet opportunity.

The description of the VIP package on Ticketmaster promised an "interactive portals photo experience" for ticketholders, leaving some fans under the impression that they would have a face-to-face encounter with the singer herself. However, videos shared on TikTok revealed a different reality, as excited fans were presented with an AI-generated hologram of Melanie instead.

Melanie Martinez faces criticism for AI-powered VIP meet-and-greet

In the hologram, Melanie donned a khaki green shredded dress with a flesh-colored top and matching stockings, staying true to the theme of her latest album. The AI-generated representation featured four large eyes, pursed lips, and oversized ears. As the hologram appeared before fans, it waved, posed for the camera with arms by its side, curtseyed, blew a kiss, and then exited quickly. The controversial VIP experience triggered a wave of criticism on TikTok, with some fans expressing their disappointment and outrage.

'Melanie Martinez is really a scammer'

Internet users were furious with Melanie's meet and greet. One user tweeted with a gif, "Thinking how Melanie Martinez is actually charging people for an ai meet and greet." Another added, "Melanie Martinez is really a scammer for those AI meet and greets I would have pulled her plug out." A third claimed, "I see people keep mentioning how other celebrities charge wayyy more for things in general and, ok? they shouldn't and its gross that they do, have u seen the price of taylor swift tickets, it’s disgusting, and melanie martinez is doing ai meet and greets, shit is crazy." "Melanie Martinez digital photo op is not an ai generated hologram that's a green screen video like come on now," read a tweet. Another chimed in, "IM CRYING WT THIS MELANIE MARTINEZ AI MEET AND GREET I could’ve photoshopped this when I was 12."

Despite the backlash, there were also some supporters who defended Melanie's unique approach. One fan named Kate argued that there was never a promise of a traditional meet-and-greet and said she enjoyed the concert experience. "The only people who meet Melanie before concerts are a few people who won contests (usually radio contests) for each show," Kate confirmed that she paid $355.90 for her ticket, which also included a VIP-exclusive merch pack and a commemorative VIP laminate.

"I will say, however, nobody has seemed to receive the 'Exclusive Portals VIP Digital collectible' that was listed and no one's really sure what it is," she continued. "Also I noticed there is a mouse cursor on the overlay of my photo with 'Melanie', which I thought was because they were running late to set up at my venue, but came to realize it's on everyone's. Even at different venues which seems like they didn't really seem to care too much about this part sadly. But the concert itself was an amazing experience from the backup dancers to the stage effects. She nailed the performance," Kate added, as per Daily Mail.

Who is Melanie Martinez?

Melanie is an American singer-songwriter and actress who gained popularity through her participation in the third season of the reality TV show 'The Voice' in 2012. Born on April 28, 1995, in Baldwin, New York, Melanie developed a passion for music and the arts at a young age. Her unique style, characterized by a mix of dark, alternative pop, and emotionally charged lyrics, quickly garnered a dedicated fanbase.

After her time on 'The Voice,' Melanie embarked on a successful solo music career. She released her debut EP, 'Dollhouse' in 2014, which included the hit title track and attracted attention for its dark and haunting themes. In 2015, she released her first studio album, 'Cry Baby' which further solidified her presence in the alternative music scene.

'Cry Baby' was well-received by both fans and critics and showcased Melanie's talent for storytelling through her music. The album featured popular tracks like 'Pity Party,' 'Soap,' and 'Carousel,' and it explored themes of childhood, innocence, and darker aspects of human emotions.

Tags news epcelebs