Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'My wife begged me not to do it': How Sylvester Stallone ignored skeptics before resurrecting Rocky Balboa

2023-06-14 14:49
It was an uphill battle for Sylvester Stallone to bring back Rocky for a sixth installment after 'Rocky V' received a lukewarm response
'My wife begged me not to do it': How Sylvester Stallone ignored skeptics before resurrecting Rocky Balboa

MIAMI, FLORIDA: It turns out that not everyone was thrilled about Sylvester Stallone's decision to step back into the ring as Rocky Balboa. Unveiling the behind-the-scenes drama, the Hollywood icon once opened up about the challenges he faced while resurrecting the beloved character. It wasn’t an easy feat to bring back Rocky for a sixth installment after the lukewarm reception of 'Rocky V'. Many were skeptical, including the love of his life.

Challenging the Skeptics

"My wife begged me not to do it, though. That's why I wrote the line in there, 'I'd rather do something I love badly than to feel bad about not doing something I love,'" Stallone candidly shared in an interview with Total Film, shedding light on the emotional turmoil surrounding his ambitious project as well as his unwavering commitment to the iconic character and enduring love for the franchise.

Sharing an intriguing twist in the tale, Stallone recalled the fortuitous turn of events that paved the way for 'Rocky Balboa'. “So, at that time MGM was just not interested and I thought, This is never going to happen. Then, as fate would have it, MGM was sold [to Sony], new people in, and that was it. But I have to thank the guy who really got the ball rolling, [Revolution Studio president] Joe Roth," Stallone told Entertainment Weekly, revealing the pivotal moment that revitalized the dormant franchise.

Sylvester Stallone's Vision

Stallone's creative vision for 'Rocky Balboa' dared to explore uncharted territory, focusing on an aging Rocky grappling with life's challenges. Opening up about his intentions, the actor confessed, “I wanted to wait until I was like 55. I wanted that kind of story. But when I turned 55, nobody wanted to do it. So it’s just been sitting there for the past four years. It’s a miracle it’s been made at all," he reflected.

For Stallone, 'Rocky Balboa' went beyond a mere franchise revival. It became a deeply personal endeavor, reflecting his own journey of self-discovery and introspection. “It’s like, oh you had your moment, time to move on. I thought, now it’s really starting to be an interesting premise. Taking that personal journey, dealing with grief, getting the stuff out of the basement. I thought we had a weighty story,” Stallone said.

However, the acclaimed thespian remained convinced that 'Rocky Balboa' marked the end of Rocky's on-screen journey. He passionately conveyed, “When [Rocky] says, ‘Yo, Adrian, we did it!’ He means, we’re done. We lived the life. I’m a big believer that, in life, we can’t succeed in everything. Most times, we lose. But the few times we do win, we have to make sure they were the important battles,” adding, “Lose the little ones along the way, sure, but make sure you win the ones that relate to love and relationships and major personal passions.”

Rocky's Resonance

Through his enduring legacy, Stallone has come to embrace the impact of his iconic portrayal of Rocky. There has been a remarkable shift in his perspective about being typecasted since his younger days. “...As reality sets in, there are certain actors that are character, and there are certain actors that, early on, get inextricably linked with a certain character,” he said, adding, “I was too naive to understand that and tried to do everything to move away [from it]. It’s that classic: he doth protest too much, when in doubt, shout. If I had learned [all] that years ago, I would have had a much more enjoyable life."