Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

How did Ken Squier die? Legendary Hall of Fame NASCAR announcer who narrated first live race was 88

2023-11-17 01:47
Ken Squier worked as a lap-by-lap commentator for CBS and TBS and his voice is associated with some of the most memorable moments in Nascar history
How did Ken Squier die? Legendary Hall of Fame NASCAR announcer who narrated first live race was 88

WATERBURY, VERMONT: Ken Squier, the legendary Nascar announcer who narrated the sport’s first live televised race, has died at the age of 88.

Even as the actual cause of death hasn't been announced, Squier died on Wednesday, November 15, at his home in Vermont, after battling several health issues in the last few years.

Ken Squier’s health struggles from Covid-19, shingles and fractured pelvis

A close friend and Sirius XM Nascar Radio host Dave Moody announced Squier’s death on social media on Thursday, November 16.

He wrote, “It’s over. Ken earned his wings last night at 8.20 pm ET, surrounded by his incredible, loving family."

"I grieve for the loss of my dear friend and lifelong mentor, but rejoice in the face that his pain and struggle are over," he added.

Moody had been sharing updates on Squier’s health on social media, revealing that he had suffered from shingles, Covid-19, a minor stroke, and a fractured pelvis.

He said that Squier seemed to be recovering from his injuries until another medical issue this week proved too much for him to overcome.

On November 15, he posted that Squier was in hospice care. He was to be taken home the next day "where he will spend whatever time remains," Moody wrote.

Ken Squier’s legacy in NASCAR coining the term 'The Great American Race'

Squier was a pioneer in the sport of Nascar, coining the term 'The Great American Race' for the Daytona 500.

He worked as a lap-by-lap commentator for CBS and TBS and his voice is associated with some of the most memorable moments in Nascar history.

He was inducted into the Nascar Hall of Fame in 2018, the first broadcaster to receive the honor.

He also received the Squier-Hall Award for Nascar Media Excellence in 2013, along with Barney Hall.

'Ken Squier voiced a generation,' said Erik Jones

Many Nascar personalities paid tribute to Squier, including Erik Jones who wrote, "Pretty sad news this morning, he voiced a generation, and will never be replaced. We’ll miss you, Ken!"

Dale Earnhardt Jr tweeted, “Ken Squier was there when Nascar was introduced to the rest of the world in 1979 for the Kaytona 500.

"I’m convinced that race would have not had its lasting impact had Ken not been our lead narrator," he said.

"We still ride the wave of that momentum created on that day. Kens [sic] words and energy were perfection on a day when Nascar needed it. I am forever grateful for his major role in growing stock car racing. RIP," he added.

NASCAR, while mourning the death of Ken, said, "The golden voice of NASCAR has died at the age of 88. Rest in Peace, Ken Squier."

Jim France said Ken Squier contributed to the growth of NASCAR as much as any competitor

Nascar Chairman and CEO Jim France also issued a statement, saying, “Though he never sat behind the wheel of a stock car, Ken Squier contributed to the growth of NASCAR as much as any competitor.

"Ken was a superb storyteller and his unmistakable voice is the soundtrack to many of NASCAR’s greatest moments. His calls on TV and radio brought fans closer to the sport, and for that he was a fan favorite," he said.

"Ken knew no strangers, and he will be missed by all. On behalf of the France family and all of NASCAR, I offer my condolences to the family and friends of Ken Squier," he added, according to the Sun.

Ken Squier was a passionate supporter of his home state

Squier was a native of Vermont, where he opened the 'Thunder Road' speedway in Barre in 1960.

He was a passionate supporter of his home state and its racing community. Vermont Governor Phil Scott, a stock car racer himself, called Squier “a true Vermont legend and dear friend to me and so many others.”

"...He often described those racing as ‘common men doing uncommon things.’ But in reality, he was describing himself — because Ken was indeed a very common man who did extraordinary things," Scott said in a series of posts on X.

Tags news